Help spend $2300 on a camera....

zzbog

Hello,

I'm considering a present for one person. I know, that the camera will be the

best present. The occasion is pretty big and I want this present to last for

longer then 2-3 years.

That's why I think, that film is my best bet.

Which film camera? - that is the question, I'm totally new to photography, so

please forgive such a strange question.

Please, can you name the film camera kit, which will last long enough and can

be considered a pro-choice. Canon, Nikon or even rangefinder - I don't really

know. Still I think that SLR is better for the needs of that person (or do

rangefinders allow macro & zoom with certain lenses? - the camera should be

universal).

I don't really know what to choose. CANON EOS 1V or else? NIkon F6? F100? Leica?

Please help me, I'm at a loss...

Film? What is that? You want it last more then 2-3 years? Film camera's today are on lifesupport, and it's days are numbered. I would recommend looking into a digital camera, Canon 30D or 5D would be my choice for the $$ you suggest.

I just started in my photography hobby back in January with a film SLR, the Canon T2. While using film has certainly taught me things that I would not have learned with a DSLR, I am certainly feeling very limited with it due to not being able to change film ISO midroll, etc. Not only that, but sharing pictures can get to be a hassle as well; I had to shop around for a scanner and eventually settled on the epson 4490 photo, which is certainly fine for my purposes, but is not optimal.

At this point, I'm saving money up for a 30D (by the time my money's saved up, it might be the 40D I buy). I plan on keeping my film body for black and white film shots, but the simple fact of the matter is digital is far more convenient in just about every way and (from what I know) only loses to film in a couple of ways. One of these disadvantages of digital is in black and white shots. One of the growing disadvantages of film is simply availability of film: I walked into a camera store a couple of weeks ago to get some B+W Agfa 400 (it's what I've been shooting for these last couple of months) only to have the clerk tell me that they are no longer being produced, and that they don't have anymore. I managed to track 10 rolls down at another camera store, but hopefully this will at least show you that film is becoming more and more of a hard-to-find item.

I highly recommend purchasing a digital SLR for the gift.

In terms of lenses, I've seen a few people recommend a 'kit' lens along with a lens that can perform well in low light. While the kit lens won't be the sharpest/fastest/brightest/most convenient, it will show the giftee what their favorite focal lengths are, and give them an idea as to what lens to get next. For a low-light performer, a 50mm/1.8 is cheap compared to other lenses in manufacturer's lineups, and is a brilliant performer in low light.

Looking back at your post, are you afraid of a digital camera not being durable enough to last 2-3 years? I have seen people on forums who have claimed to have used their canon DSLRs for 3+ years, and have no reason to not believe them. And just holding a digital rebel and my film rebel, I would be hard-pressed to tell you which was the most durable. In fact, I would guess that with less moving parts, the digital would stand a bit better to abuse, but then there also might be more concern with getting water on it. Somebody who is better versed in these things would be better able to assess these risks for you.

Ok... the question will be like... Does Canon has something to offer against legendary (already) 18-200 VR Nikkor lenses?

No offence to Canon-people, really, I just don't know anything about the subject... And wonder which system to choose

The 18-200 VR , sacrifices image quality for convinience. and I dont think it will become legandary for that.

There is the new sigma 18-200 with optical stabilizer, same as VR, for canon mount. This lens would be available very very soon.

If you want film, why not consider medium format? A used Hasselblad kit will always be enjoyed by an avid photographer, unless he/she wants the smaller camera/format or digital for convenience. A Mamiya rangefinder (Mamiya 6 or 7) is also one of the best film cameras available.

I would absolutely recommending going with digital and not film. I do not have a digital body yet, but wish I did. Last evening I was at my sons high school track meet and at one point took three photos in less than a second and thought to myself "well that was about $2.00 worth of film and processing".

One thing to consider is the 'digital darkroom' end of it. Is this person computer savvy or does this person want nothing to do with computers. Possibly this person has basically what is needed, although it is possible to invest quite heavily in software.

My intentions are to switch from a PC to Mac, purchase Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. However, I will look forward to learning these programs which will be very time consuming. But, first I must purchase that digital body. [Please...I do not want to start a PC vs. Mac war; but having seen the lastest Macs, this is now my decision for personal use].

If you would invest in an expensive film body, it may be just a matter of time that this person loves the camera but wishes it were digital.

I don't know if this is supposed to be a surprise, but I'd be hesitant to spend that much money without knowing exactly what the person would want. The type that would want a Leica film camera is probably fairly different from the type that would want a Canon 5D. At least for someone in the US, I'd be very tempted to give them something like a gift card from B&H instead of picking a camera myself.

You can't go wrong with the EOS 1V. It's an absolutely gorgeous camera. It has everything a professional 35mm camera should have, and much more. You won't look back. <br>

However, I would advise you to also get the power drive booster PB-E2. I got them both (camera plus booster) for about $2100 from B&H (including shipping). Even if you don't need the increased frame rate offered by the booster, the gain in ergonomics and balance is substantial. Well worth the money.

Instead of guessing, you could purchase a gift certificate from a reliable camera store, so that the person could make their own choice. They might appreciate the gift more, knowing that you took the time to think that you confessedly know little about photography and apparently they do know about it. If I were the recipient, I would greatly appreciate your thoughtfulness. In any case, if you instead decide to purchase a camera for them, you would want to make certain that it can be returned -- and that the return period is long enough to permit the recipient to do so, if they wish, e.g., after the honeymoon or whatever. Best wishes, and you're a generous person!

Gift sertificate won't work, for we're not from USA or Europe...

Maybe digital is really the way to go...

And I guess I should sacrifice body for the lenses and choose... what?

30d or 400d? I think 30d... (but the dust... arhh).

And which lenses?

24-105 f4 looks good. Which lenses can make a good pair to those?

I learned nothing about photography until I bought a dslr. THat's certainly my own fault, but that's how it was for me.

With a dslr I could see the relationship between iso, aperture, shutterspeed, etc, instantly.

Really, I would make this decision together with the recipient. Every photographer is different. What works for some, doesn't work for others. Some love zooms, some loathe anything but primes. Some want small cameras, some are only comfortable with bigger guns. There are many objective and subjective factors, and I would not want to second-guess anyones desires and preferences when it comes to photography.

I agree with Bueh. If you really want to try to make it a surprise, try to persuade some other colleague who is a photography buff to engage the person in conversation about photography and through comparing notes, try to ellicit what might appeal.

Correct me if, I'm wrong, but any of the lenses I get for Canon EOS D-series (be it 400D, 30d or 5d) won't fit on any of Canon film cameras?

Or is there a special adaptor for it?

I think you cannot use EF-S lenses (for the 1.6 APS format) on 1.3 crop or full-frame cameras. I don't know if they don't work at all or if they just show severe vignetting, sorry.

If you want to make the decision without the recipient, I would get a 30D and EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM. However, that's based upon my experiences, and the things that I value. If your recipient is a "prime" lens purist, my suggestion won't make that person very happy, I'm afraid. Don't buy a film body, though. I would not be surprised if 35mm film is no longer manufactured within the decade.

ZZ,

Well, I think that the person your buying for must be a fairly experienced photographer for you to think about this gift, correct? Given that and the amount of the expense-- I would consult with that person as they have probably a pretty good idea what they like, want, and use. If they aren't experienced, then any entry level SLR camera from nikon or canon would do perfectly fine.

As for your body choices... and feedback... your going to get a fairly biased opinion. Digital bodies are great, where R&D, customer demand, etc is, but they are not a gift that stays with someone a lifetime as many film bodies have been and continue to be. Thus, it depends on what your objective is. You can get any quality digital SLR and expect it to last a at least a few years depending on how much they shoot and the environement. However, if your intent is really to give them a gift to last their lifetime (i.e part sentimental/part camera), then by all means buy a film body (assuming that it fits their needs). I have had plenty of film bodies that are 15-20 years old and work perfectly fine with little to no fuss. I have one purchased 27 years ago that works just like the day I bought it. So it really depends on your intent. IF I imagine someone buying me a gift fopr 2300 to cherish over a lifetime, a Leica M6 would certainly bring a smile to my face :)

With that said, if I was buying someone that was just getting started in the hobby, I would get them an entry level canon or nikon (xt, 20/30d, d40, or d80) kit.

How about a pair of bodies, one digital and one film, and one or more lenses that will fit both? Consider the following package:

1) Canon T2 body (film)

2) Canon XTi body (digital)

3) Canon 24-105mm f/4 image stablized lens

4) Canon 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 lens

5) If there is money left over then maybe one digital-only wide angle to cover the short side for the XTi body.

6) If there is still money left over then maybe one of the following lenses: 85mm f/1.8 or a 100mm f/2 or a 100mm f/2.8 macro.

The downside: These are considered to be consumer rather than pro level camera bodies.

The upside: A pro would have no trouble taking first-rate photos with this equipment.

The upside: Not too expensive, probably close to your target price.

The upside: A very versatile combination of bodies and lenses.

The upside: Easy upgrade path in either direction, i.e. bodies or lenses, though there wouldn't likely be much need to upgrade the lenses.

<p><i>The upside: A pro would have no trouble taking first-rate photos with this equipment.</i></p><p>This, of course, assumes that the "pro" would not need any of the features that exist in more expensive bodies, that are missing in the ones you are recommending. ;-)</p>