istDL trouble with flash in manual shooting mode

kristencalle

Hi There. I am using a fully manual fisheye lens with my ist DL. Why is it

that I can't set the shutter speed any faster than 1/180 in manual mode when

the flash is up. All my shots are over exposed and it is very frustrating. I

am sure there is a function lurking in the depths of the menu but I can't find

it. Please help.

Kristen

Unfortunately, the built-in flash is limited to a max speed of 1/180 with fully manual lenses. Also, P-TTL is not supported so you need to adjust the aperture to match the flash. You could purchase an external flash but the same limitation will be present unless you get the type that has a sensor on the flash and adjustments on the flash to change the amount of light.

The good news is you can trick the Pentax body into thinking your manual lens is an auto-aperture lens and you might have good results. To do this trick go here:

http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/index.html?intro.html

On left, "(Pentax) Flash", on the right "Flash Technique and technology", and then "Use P-TTL flashes with manual lenses". The whole section on Pentax flashes is well done and well worth reading.

I forgot to mention that when the Pentax body thinks an auto-aperture lens is attached P-TTL is used. When it thinks a manual lens is being used then the flash is triggered at full power. This is true even when you have an auto-aperture lens mounted but have set the aperture using the ring instead of leaving the lens on A and setting aperture via the camera.

The Pentax manual goes into this a bit on page 149 for the *ist DL. I know because I happen to have the same model and was researching some flash questions a couple days ago. Pentax has been nice enough to make the manual available online at their website in PDF format.

Thanks for that Cymen.

I wasn't expecting so much effort to be put into the answer to my question. There is a lot of info on that link, so I'll have a good read tonight with my camera handy so I can understand exactly what's going on.

Thanks again,

Kristen