burning to disc photos in date order

I am trying to burn to disc 200 jpegs taken on 1 camera but with several cards.

The trouble is the file numbers are all over the place so when the selected

photos are burnt to dvd they playback in order of file number. What I want is

them in the order I selected so on playback on a dvd player or PS3 they are

correct for a slide show if required. I have tried some slideshow software but

am still looking for one that does the job I want. I am using Nikon PP,

Elements5 and Roxio8.

What you can do with ACDSee: Set the files in the Browser to be sorted by date, then higlight them all and start "Batch Rename". You can then rename them with some incrementing numberic suffix, and the lowest number will be the earliest date, and so on.

If you need to preserve the original names, just do this on a copy.

I use DIM to copy from cards to hard drive and rename based on date/time of shot. This alphabetizes the file names in date order regardless of camera used or the original file name. It also flattens folders on the card, and reduces download hassles in general. DIM is free. http://www.alanlight.com/dim/Dim.htm

Then I rename with a number and more logical description, like "145-weddingshow.jpg." I do this to all the files at once in XnView. http://www.xnview.com/ It's another free program. If these are for a slide show I usually resize and sharpen all the files in XnView as well, so they load faster/smoother for the show.

Is there a way of sorting the images within xnview? I have the folder opened in xnview but because none of the sorts options suit me I need a custom sort or a means of moving the files to my liking before renaming the batch... thanks

I don't think so, Ian. You can go to View > Sort By, and choose the options there, but I don't think there is a way to do a custom sort by just dragging them around. You could always add a numerical comment and sort from that, but that would be a bit of a kludge I would think.