there a downside to this?

Thanks.

from their "contact us" webpage ....

Contact Us

Please make checks payable to:

Tony Rose

2767 Baywater Place

Thousand Oaks, CA 91362

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=2767+Baywater+Place,+thousand+oaks,+ca&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=48.956293,62.314453&ie=UTF8&ll=34.21689,-118.830823&spn=0.003145,0.003803&t=h&z=18&om=1

looks like somebody's (Tony's?) home to me. i wouldnt even consider buying from this "store". B&H, Ritz, Adorama, Berger Bros are stores i would deal with (only).

regards, michael

Tony Rose has a real store here in the Santa Barbara area (or had, I haven't passed by for a while.) It may have a branch in Thousand Oaks as well. There are better-supplied local branches of stores here (Calumet, Samy's) so I don't shop at Tony Rose, but it's not somebody's home. However, I do agree with Michael that it is safer to buy from B&H, Adorama, or quality local stores if you can find them.

The best way to get taken is to try to buy at prices that make you ask if a store is "legit," as you put it. Legitimate stores can't offer illegimate prices.

haven't bought from him myself, but lurk around in other forums (here and elsewhere) where he seems to have excellent reputation. try asking the same in the leica and rf forum, as he deals a lot in rangefinder gear, new and used.

hey Hector ...

it's the address listed on the website (Thousand Oaks). if you click on my maps.google link provided and do a "hybrid" view, you'll see that it's a subdivision of homes, and the address shown IS a house.

now, i know some folks will list a home for a business address, but if a person has a true storefront, why dont they list that?

the fact remains, no storefront is listed at the address listed on the About Us page. i found nothing about PopPhoto at resellerratings.com, which makes me leery.

and even if some folks, on other forums, say they've bought from Tony (thorir's comment), i'd still be leery.

i'm not disagreeing with anyone's comments in contrary to me, but i still want to say it might not be a good idea.

regards, michael

Popflash and Tony Rose are the best. Not only will he not take advantage of a customer in

any way he will give the customer any advantage he can. You are missing a fine opportunity

to do business with one of the best online merchants on the internet.

gary merideth

I bought a lens from Tony and was very pleased with him and his service. I would not

hesitate to deal with him again. Many of his items are grey market, but this is no different

from the grey market items you can buy from the big NY stores. I have bought both grey

and US lenses and have never had a problem with either. You must decide if grey is

acceptable or if you require the US warranty and if the cost differential is justified.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I ordered a Zeiss ZF 100mm makro planar from Popflash on October 1 2007. Today, October 5 it arrived at my home in the Netherlands. The price was very good, especially now with the very cheap dollar (at least when you live in a euro country.

I would not hesitate to buy from him again.