Sensor Dirt or Scratch?

Hi all,

I just got back from having my sensor 'professionally cleaned' only to find that

not only was it not much cleaner, two large scratches have been added. Is there

any way to tell looking here whether this is dirt or a scratch? I'm about to

leave the country and if it's the a scratch, will need to have a serious

confrontationi but if it's just dirt, will take it somewhere else. I cannot see

anything on the sensor myself.

Thanks for your feedback.

I see four large spots plus two lines.

Sadly many work on cameras who are not competent. I would clean a spot in the center of the line and see what happens. Go across the line, not lengthwise.

Major manufactures advise using a blower and no contact. I would try cleaning myself in the future. There are sites describing the process.

I'm also thinking those are just some fibers on the sensor/filter. They may just be a bit more stuck than can be dislodged with a blower. I doesn't look like there's any permanent damage.

If you know anyone with a "Sensor Brush" or "Dust Aid" I would try them first.

FWIW, I've had my 20D cleaned by CPS technicians (who you would think know what they're doing) and it came back with dust and stuff all over it.

Good luck!

http://www.visibledust.com/ --- http://www.dust-aid.com/

You really have to wonder what the provider was thinking even to take in such work when they're not capable of doing a proper job. I can't image that they'd be able to get rich off of sensor cleaning and it hardly seems worth the risk to attempt it for a customer. Cleaning a sensor properly, I could only image, would be a daunting task. I'm not expert but just how do you clean a tiny plastic surface completely of all dirt. Even a spec of dust less then a micron (one millionth of a meter) will cover a pixel or two. I really can't believe that this is a job that should be attempted without a proper positive pressure clean room. I just had a students sensor cleaned. My local camera store knew enough not to attempt it themselves. The camera was sent to Nikon to be cleaned properly. A headache but worth the time. Came back spotless. I agree with Evan. Don't attempt to clean it yourself and demand it's properly cleaned or replaced by those that screwed it up so badly.....and from your sample...if they did that...that's screwed up pretty bad.

<i>"Cleaning a sensor properly, I could only image, would be a daunting task."</i>

<p>

Cleaning is not difficult but must be done with a reasonable amount of care. Search photo.net on 'sensor cleaning' and read the hundreds of threads on the subject.

<p>

If you're going to be using a dSLR learning to clean the sensor yourself is as much a part of ownership as is moving the images from the camera to computer. It's something that just needs to be done. (Either that or have a friend close by that will do it for you.)

<p>

It's an unfortunate fact that dust will get into the camera body and some of it will deposit itself on the sensor. After just a single lens change I'll wager there will be some dust on a previously pristine sensor. Having cleaning done professionally each time cleaning is needed will soon exceed the cost of the camera itself.

Greg Miller - "I really can't believe that this is a job that should be attempted without a proper positive pressure clean room."

I admit it sounds far-fetched, but sensor cleaning really isn't that hard. I shoot a lot at small-apertures against even backgrounds (blue sky), and I've found I need to clean my sensor every day during a shoot. Usually I do it in the hotel just before going to bed at night or first thing in the morning. There are some events where I'm car-camping and the best I can do is shut myself in the car. Most times a couple of swipes with a Sensor Brush is all it takes, but last summer I had to get out the Eclipse and PEC-pads one morning at the EAA Convention at Oshkosh.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Geoff,

<p>

Have you tried the 'lens pen' cleaning method promoted by Arthur Morris? ( <a href="http://www.birdsasart.com/lenspens.htm">http://www.birdsasart.com/lenspens.htm</a>) It works fine for me.</a>

<p>

I use a blower first, followed by a brush if needed, then the Arhur Morris method if still needed. I only use the 'wet' method when nothing else works. I haven't had to resort to that since I started using the lens pens.

<p>

Dick

Richard "Dick" Tope, "Have you tried the 'lens pen' cleaning method...?"

No, but that's mostly inertia on my part. I know some folks who swear by it, though. My next cleaning purchase will likely be in the adhesive direction, but the "slightly" larger Dust-Aid pad. I'll have to look at the lens-pen again - it would be nice to have something for one stubborn speck...

Cheers,

Geoff S.

I bought the ECLIPSE optic cleaning system solution and noticed that if I oversaturated the cleaning brush (SENSOR SWAB, 48.00 retail for a pack of 'em) with the solution it leaves a mark similar to the one I see on your image. I just recleaned using a brush with less solution on it, the sensor was dry upon completion and the mark went away.

• 2 months later...