Recommendations for a Post 1970 Professional level 35mm SLR

Hi Andre.

Is your main reason for considering the Nikon F2, F3, etc. series of camers because you will have access to a large selection of lenses? I have a few favorites that are pretty good performers (and cheap nowadays!) The Canon Ftb is a good choice (I think someone else mentioned this camera). I used it while in high school and a little bit in college. I used it to produce some really great pictures with a Canon 50mm lens (and a 28mm I think). The Pentax K-1000 is a great, robust, user friendly camera as well, and will give you access to a huge selection of lenses. Although, my personal favorite is still the Kodak Retina Reflex III (used that more in college). However, you would only have access up to a 200mm lens, and that can be rare to find (still a comparable camera to the Canon F2's regarding performance, maybe not features). I'm sure some in here think that camera is too antiquated/difficult to use today, compared to what was available in the 80's and 90's.

I did see that some user mentioned the electronics in the AE-1 starting to die. Personally, I much prefer a camera that doesn't have to rely on batteries, etc. for meter readings., but the Ftb and K-1000 are still great choices I think. You should be able to get by without the 1/4000 shutter speed.

If you have your heart set on Canon, take a look at the Ftb. (You could drop that tank and it would still work probably).