Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH ...

godfrey

I used the Leica 25/1.4 with a Panasonic L1 for a couple of days. Of course I was interested about the quality at apertures around 1.4 or 2. Well this lens ist excellent. Sometimes vignetting at f1.4 until f2.8 appear to be a little high. Nevertheless, don't hesitate to use it at full aperture (although it gets better at f.2 - no surprise). Parallel to the Leica 25/1.4 I shot with a Sigma 30/1.4 on a Nikon D200. At f1.4 I only saw little difference. Not bad, Sigma.

Thanks Frank! Very nice photo. It's on my list but I'm holding off in deference to my

wallet. ;-)

That said, I'd prefer something like an 18 to 20mm f/2; even a compact f/2.8 lens in this

focal length range would be good. I haven't been able to find any information at all regards

future Leica lens offerings for the Digilux 3. Heck, it's hard to even figure out what they have

available now from the Leica website... !

Godfrey

• 4 weeks later...
A little birdie tells me that I need to hold off until the E1 replacement is available, instead of blindly buying a 510 now, so I won't be getting the Summilux until then, either. It does sound like a winner, though. I hope so.

Well, I do expect the E3 or whatever Olympus names it will be a fantastic camera. The E1 is a

fantastic camera, and is still a good performer.

I'm putting the fast normal prime notion on hold for a bit. I added the Oly 11-22 and a pair

of Nikon lenses (105/2.5 and 180/2.8) to my L1 kit so I'm done for a while. I can do a lot of

work with what I have now. :-)

Godfrey