hasselblad h1 or mamiya 645 afd

Just curious....for those who are familiar with these cameras, on your views on

which to buy. I love medium format film and am primarily interested in the

versatility of auto focus and in-camera metering, as I need to be able to do

things like go off on the trail and shoot candids of children, as well have

interchangeable lenses for work with various portrait styles -- documentary and

formal.

I am not that interested in hearing about all of my other camera options, unless

I am overlooking a medium format, film camera with autofocus and in camera metering.

Thanks so much for your input.

Katherine

Yes you missed the Rollei 6008AF. It has autofocus and several metering modes which work very well. You can choose between 6x6 and 645 film backs, and can rotate the back, not the whole camera, so that you can maintain the camera position AND use the waist level finder in both orientations. The lenses are the best in medium format. Good luck.

Hi Katherine,

the Rolleiflex 6008AF is heavy to carry around but at the end of production live cycle. The Mamiya 645AFd is still living but its future maybe somewhat uncertain. The Hasselblad H2 is in full production (H1 is not), but the system is expensive. All systems can provide extraordenary photos!!!!! If money is not a problem and you wish the manufacturers service in the long term, get a Hasselblad. For children the Rollei AF6008 is not the best, because the prism tends to enlarge a somewhat big camera. Mamiya would provide best money value, but if you often flash outside the studio, the shutter is limiting. The Contax is an option, but only available used.

Purely depends on what your usage is like. if Photography is your full time profession, and your making good money at it, a Hassie will always be best.

However unless your shooting MF all the time, a Mamiya will do a great job at a fraction of the price.

Vital, I was talking about Mamiya in general, which includes the rb/rz cameras. the mamiya 645 line is fantastic, I recently got one myself. I suppose if you have to justify yourself as a photographer by using a certain brand of equipment then have fun. Then grow up.

"BTW, it was about mamiya 645 VS h1 right?"

yes, exactly. My statement implied that mamiya quality is high regardless of which camera is chosen. What it wasn't about was,"I want this or that camera depending on who is using it", which is just about the worst way to pick a camera.

I just bought a Mamiya 645 AFD on eBay with an 80mm lens for only 970 bucks. I know nothing about medium format, but I guess I'm about to learn!

I got the 645 AFD for 3 reasons. 1) I can't afford Hasselblad. 2) I toured the Hallmark photography school (www.hallmark.edu) recently, and they require all incoming students to own the 645 AFD. I may attend the school, but I'm not sure. 3) Mamiya's website says they're coming out with a medium format digital camera soon, called the ZD, and it will use the same lenses as the 645 AFD series. So, if I buy an assortment of lenses, then one day I can buy the ZD camera and keep them.

Of course, I hope the ZD will be a more economical choice than buying a digital back for the 645 AFD, but we'll have to see.

By the way, I am not a pro or semi pro or anything of the kind, so I don't know what my advice is worth. Good luck!

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I ended up buying a Rollei 6008AF. The Hassie H1 seemed much more expensive, given the lenses I need, though also prettier and more ergonomical than the 6008. In the end, I think the biggest influence was seeing the Hy6 and thinking that, when the price comes down, that will be the camera to have -- so investing in Rollei lenses that will have Hy6 compatibility made the most sense. I read a lot of reviews of both H1 and 6008 and felt like the 6008 would be the best investment of my somewhat limited funds. For small, fast-moving children, I may still probably need to go with my Canon film or new 5d. But I am hopeful that the 6008 will work to some degree for them too.

Mark, in reference to my comment being a load of Bxxs, I am actually a proud owner of a Mamiya 645 system which I use professionally and am very happy with. However Hasselblad will always have the advantage of being more of a "mechanical" system than Mamiya with less reliance on electrical parts. I stayed with The Super as this can still fire at a 60th if need be. However (and please feel free to correct me if Im wrong, which Im sure you will) the rest of the Mamiya range does not carry this feature.

Andrew,

In the older M645/M645J/M645 1000s line, yes a battery is needed. But it is only to trip the shutter, and the remarkably efficient moving-coil shutter makes each battery last for many thousands of cycles. I have not changed mine in years. Everything else in the camera is mechanical. So I simply carry a tiny little spare battery. Since years can (and do) go by without needing to change the battery, or months in the case of professional use, a single fresh spare gives you all the confidence you need - just as much as having a 100% mechanical camera.

Sure, you can add on a power drive and electronic meter prism, which are also electrically reliant - but ditto for the Hassy.

Elsewhere in the Mamiya lineup, the RB67, TLRs, and Press/Universal cameras need no batteries at all.

Brian,

The Mamiya ZD has been out for well over a year. Mamiya's US website is sorely out of date. You can find ZD reviews and images in several places on the web. The results are fantastic, the price tag is scary, but not as scary as digital backs (with a similar area of silicon real estate) from other manufacturers.

Ray

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

OH OH Can I just name one that uses RZ67? Annie Liebowitz. I don't think you need any more after that do you?

or Michell Tcherevkoff, Paul Aresue, The RZ 67 has probably shot more magazine covers in the past 20 years then all other medium format cameras combined.

How about this. The most popular camera back maker in the world for digital back uses the mamiya 645 as their OEM camera

http://www.phaseone.com/camera/

"The most popular camera back maker in the world for digital back uses the mamiya 645 as their OEM camera http://www.phaseone.com/camera/"

Only because they had to. They were locked out of the new Hasselblad bodies, and the Hy6. They were in danger of having no platform for which to make backs. The only player left without a strategic partnership was Mamiya (arguable the poorest performer of the production platforms).

"Can I just name one that uses RZ67? Annie Liebowitz."

Funny but everyone seems to claim that she uses their camera. I don't know why they bother - I think her work is rubbish :)

• 1 year later...