Final Countdown to K10D long lens

greg_cornish

I've narrowed my long lens search to these three lenses. My selection isn't based as much as good reports

on specific lenses as much as reports of inconsistency on the reputation of the Tamron, Sigma and Tokina

lenses. What I hear is, "Well you know that two identical lenses of this this type can be two totally different

in quality" When I ask about pentax lenses, I hear, "I've never heard anything bad about Pentax lenses, I

don't think you could go wrong." I don't think two many people I've asked have used pentax.

My concerns are:

1. If the range of the zoom is wider (75-300 vs 100-300) do you sacrifice quality for a wider range?

2. Is it better or worse to have an aperture range on the lens? (does this affect sensitivity mode? When I

place the aperture range on "A" is it the same lens as shooting with a non-aperture ring lens?)

3. The bottom two Urls seem to be the same except for color, am I wrong or is one better that the other.

Which will look sexiest on my camera?

4. The K10D isn't mentioned often in the lens features, but the "ist" cameras are. Is this because there is

another generation of lenses coming along for the K10D or is it just that the web sites haven't been

updated to include it in the descriptions?

5. Am I asking the right question and intelligent questions?

6. After reading the chart on the bottom link I find the FA lenses seem restricted in their function on the

K10D. The 75-300 zoom is an FA J and has less restrictions of use.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?

O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=218034&is=USA&addedTroughType=search

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?

O=8458&A=details&Q=&sku=277625&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/376627-REG/

Pentax_27718_SMCP_FA_J_75_300mm_f_4_5_5_8.html

http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensCompatibility.htm

Good questions:

1) Depends on the lens design and sometimes price?

2)I prefer aperture range on the lens, but if your using the digital bodies then it doesn't matter as if you turn it to any setting other then A the lens acts similar to a screw mount or non A lens. The advantage is you can use the aperture ring lenses (with an A) on all cameras. So even if you don't shoot film but think you might one day pick it up just for nostalgia getting an aperture ring lens covers all the bases.

3)Much to practical to care. I like plain women, cars and cameras.

4)yes and yes. The K10D can use SDM lenses (which is Pentax version of the USM motor so raved about by Canon users). It's a in lens piezo motor that is capable, among other things, of faster focusing. The smaller motor can switch directions much faster. To date I don't believe a SDM has been released but 3 are due for release in the next 1-6 months. However, the omission of the K10D is just because it's new. It accepts and works with all Pentax lenses with and without limitations. Any KAF mount will work on the K10D because it also has a in body motor.

1. In general, a smaller zoom ratio can indicate smaller compromises and better image quality but this is only a rule of thumb. All the lenses you refer to are comparable--for example, I would expect a 3x zoom to be better than a 11x superzoom. <P>2. I initially thought you meant constant aperture (like f/4) vs. variable aperture (e.g. f/4.5-5.6) but I guess you're referring to the aperture ring. Only important if you're sharing the lens on film bodies. Otherwise, you'll always have it on 'A', which is the same thing. <P>3. The two FA-J lenses are the same as far as I know. I will suggest that the black will probably look a little more attractive--silver lenses look nice on some of the silver film bodies but look rather odd on the all-black D-SLRs. Of course, the C*n*nites seem to love their funny looking off-white lenses, so to each their own. From one point of view, the "sexiest" one would probably be the FA since it's bigger and longer. :-) <P>4. The K10D can do everything the *ist D* series can do, plus the SDM lenses. No additional restrictions. It appears the least because it is the newest. <P>5. Questions are fine. <P>6. No reason not to use FA glass, they are fully functional, more so than FA-J, since they also keep the aperture ring for film body compatibility.

<P>I don't expect substantially different image quality between any of these lenses (or the older 80-320 which I own). All will probably be a little soft and slow at the long end of the zoom range. If you don't think you'll use it with a film body, the FA-J are somewhat smaller (nearly 1.5" shorter), lighter (1/2 lb), and slightly less expensive. The Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro (the APO version) seems to be a fairly popular pick too, and *might* offer slightly better image quality. A new Pentax lens of this class is probably a year away according to their roadmap.

With Sigma it seems to be all about quality control.

That is to me the only explanation of differing quality of the same lens.

The 70-300 (Sigma) seems to be a popular and highly liked lens. Considering there are many 70-300's for this one to come up so often as a favorite seems to me that it is a decent lens.

I have it, and for the $70 I paid, it might be the best lens I own dollar for dollar. And on the K10D it's stabilized which makes it better.

I suppose all the usual things apply to it, it's slightly softer wide open at 300mm (most lenses are), and it's a little slow (aperture). It focuses well, and is compact (compared to a fixed f/4 version or a 80-200 2.8). It makes for a great travel 70-300.

BTW, I have the non APO, and i've seen nothing to show the APO is actually better, and one resolution test (I don't don't have the link) showed the non APO to actually be better which is why I went with it.

I read this review from B&H. I think most of his problems would be addressed by my K10D rather than his K110D. I've noticed that the K10D seems to handle lenses a lot better.

Review:

This lens seems to work well but most photos are

overexposed with the Pentax K110D. Set the expose .5 to 1

stop darker. Focus is inconsistent but with multishot setting, 1

of 3 appears in focus. Not all features of the K110D work with

the lens. When using anything other than auto or program

mode, attempting to reach the F Stop is difficult due to the

design of the Pentax lens cover. But, overall, not a bad lens.

But, if you need all features of the camera stay with the 50 -

200 Pentax lens. I have both and will probably not use this

lens very often.

I have the Sigma 70-300 DG APO, and using it on my K100D I have seen none of the above complaints. Quality has been very good, indeed.

I would recommend it. The previous non DG version got a very high rating in POP Photography's March 2000 test.

For a very compact design, however, the excellent Pentax 50-200mm is tops and inexpensive.