Quantum Battery Users -- need instruction help...

victor_virtucio

My question is for users of the Quantum Batter 1+

I bought a used one at a recent camera fair. Paid $40 for just the battery, no

charger or accessories or manual. I have no idea if it really does work.

I've bought the charger and the necessary cord for my SB-800s.

What's supposed to happen when I charge it?

I plugged it in and the yellow light turns on and stays on for the duration of

the charge. Also, all four charging lights (the three green and one red that

are below the charge-level symbols) turn on and stay on. After 3+ hours, the

yellow light turns off (but the other lights stay on), so I'm assuming the

thing is charged.

I disconnect it from the wall and all the lights turn off.

When I connect it to my SB-800, the flash doesn't turn on and none of the

lights on the battery give any indication of being on. I push the little button

on it also and nothing happens.

Is this experience in line with a unit that's working?

Thanks for any input. I plan to take it to Batteries Plus to replace the cells,

but won't do that if the problems is something other than depleted cells.

P.S. I did a search of this and didn't find anything regarding actual step-by-

step instructions.

You probably need new cells.....

Generally, plug it in about 12 hours before your wedding. You should start your day with all three green lights on and as the day goes on and you use more batterry it will go down to two lights, then one. Once you hit the red light your done for the day. Do not leave it on the charger and try to use most of the charge up and recharge after use. It can and will develop a memory.

For my setup I need good AA's in my SB-800 to power the flash's computer. I've heard that not all cables require this, but the cable I bought requires AA's. So depending on which cable you are using, you might need AA"s in the flash to power it on with the power pack.

Victor,

I'm not sure which Quantum battery you have. I use the kind where the cable plugs into the front of the SB800. If your's is the same, the SB800 requires the usual 4 AA batteries.

The 4 AA batteries provide power for the electronics, the Quantum battery provides power for the flash high voltage charging cycle. This gives you almost instantaneous recycle of the flash to insure no missed shots. you still have to be careful in that the 4 AA will still run out of power for shoting an 8 - 10 hour wedding.

I've actually gotten away from using the Quantum battery. With today's AA NiMH batteries with a rating of 2700, I only need two sets of 5 batteries ( I use the additional battery) to get though a wedding.

Thanks for the replies and for the QB instruction weblink -- I actually had already found it and was hoping for some more detailed experiences with a QB1+

I have the type that plugs into the battery compartment of the SB800 -- so there's no room for AA's.

I'm guessing maybe my cells aren't holding a charge. But before I put money into replacing them, I want to make sure that it's not a different problem, like with the top control part.

After unplugging the QB from the charger, all the lights turn off. When I push the on button, nothing happens. When I plug it into the flash, nothing happens. So for those of you out there who have had a deteriorating QB, do these symptoms mean my battery isn't holding a charge or do they mean my battery's on/off switch is dead?

Thanks.

Victor,

I also own the one your talking about. There is an insert that goes into the battery compartment of the SB800, it basicly just holds the contact points. I found that the battery was done in about 5 hours of shooting and I had to go back AA to finish the wedding. this is another reason why I now use 5 AA batteries, 2700mA

I've used them for years....I suspect you just need to replace the cells. If it's a problem with the circuit board then it's likely more cost effective to simply replace the entire unit with another used one. Just hold on to the new cells for future replacement. Batterries Plus can replace the cells but it's a pretty easy task to just solder in the replacements on your own.

BTW, Although I used them for more than 12 years of wedding work, with the new flash units and dSLRs it's much easier to just go with some recylable AAs. I've got a couple of 1+ units you can buy from me for cheap if you're interested.

The QB1+ will not turn on without a cable plugged in for the flash, so that behavior is normal. If it does not turn on with the cable plugged in, then something is amis. I replaced the cells in mine for $18 and my old units, which I purchased like yours (non operationsal) have been working like champs for a year now. I would tend to agree with David, replace the cells and go from there.

My experience is 4 AA NiMH batteries were nearly as fast as the Battery 1+, and two sets of the AA's lasted nearly as long. The real improvement is had by using a Quantum Turbo or other high voltage battery. Otherwise, I don't think they're worth the effort of packing the weight of the battery & cord around.