Any tried Costco Professional Glossy photo paper?

I haven't tried this paper, but I just wanted to say that Kirkland's, makes a lot of things... therefore they do not specialize in this field...

Off the topic, when our second child was born, my wife asked the Dr about Kirkland's baby formula. He responded as I had already told my wife, "Kirkland's makes a lot of things and does not specialize in baby formula."

You might save some money by sacrificing quality, my example above is a different type of analogy, but similar in terms of quality comparison.

I haven't tried Costco paper, like the previous poster, but I do want to comment on his post.

<p>

A small number of companies actually make paper. You can find a list <a href="http://www.forest-products.org/manuf.html">here</a>. You will notice that none of them are named "Epson", "Canon", or "HP", yet many people are quite happy with papers with those brand names.

Kirkland is a private label of Costco. They don't manufacture anything. They buy products

made by manufacturers in the specific product areas, and have the manufacturer supply the

product in Costco's packaging. Costco doesn't specialize in photo paper or baby formula, but

the companies that manufacture the products certainly do.

For some well know manufacturers, this enables them to sell into certain retail channels

without hurting their existing markets.

I use the Kirkland brand photo paper with my Canon i9900 for my 'everyday' photos. I'm far from an expert on this subject, but I couldn't detect a difference in quality between the Kirkland paper and the Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy. I have tried other off brands and have noticed a difference, but not with the Kirkland paper.

I believe the Kirkland glossy has recently been changed. The old version was actually the best "glossy" paper I had ever used with my Epson if you like the look of shiny gloss. It was also buffered and possibly archival.

I haven't heard or seen anything about the reformulated version.

Costco papers branded under the "Kirkland" name are Ilford products. I don't know if Ilford

"manufactures" their own paper, but their quality control and specifications are maintained

in the process, just like they probably used to do in traditional light sensitive papers.

Sams Club now sells a glossy photo paper from Ilford. It may be the same or a derivative

of the Costco paper.

Jeff, on your list of paper makers, there are a number of companies listed there that are

more distributors than manufacturers. In the grand scheme of things there are probably a

handful of true paper manufacturers, and a zillion companies selling those papers and

under various brands and variations.

I would agree that some on that list don't make paper, and I am aware that a very small number of companies make paper. The point I was trying to make is that the companies that make paper aren't the ones listed on the box you buy. Kirkland paper is obviously made by some company other than Kirkland, just like Epson paper is made by some company other than Epson. While there may be reasons to buy specific brands, the name on it doesn't say anything about manfacture.

The Kirland paper that indicated was "made in Switzerland" had a good reputation amongst the glossy b&w printers for it image quality and being non acidic. Note: the only printing paper coating facility in Switzerland was owned by Ilford.

I understand the new Kirkland paper now shows it's made (coated) somewhere else. But it is reputed to be as good. I don't remember people saying where it is made but I'm sure you can determine the brand from the country of manufacture. It's probably still Ilford but I can't say for sure.

Sorry I can't be of more specific help but I'm a matte paper guy.

I bought a pack of the Kirkland paper for my kids to use and I have to say it's a pretty nice paper. I'm planning on running some quick and dirty fade tests against Moab Entrada and IJA MC Luster, because I'm tempted to use this for some of my own work. There is no hint of who makes the paper, but it does state--Made in the USA, and it's a 255 gsm 10.4 mil paper-- the exact same specs as Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper. I won't sell any prints unless I know the ink/paper combination is archival, but for the price, it's a great deal if you like a smooth glossy finished print for personal use.

I appreciate the various feedback. Actually, I'm less concerned with who makes it than with how well it works, particular the archival quality with HP inks. In my experience with Ilford paper, this one is a lot different. With the HP 8750 the finished result has a higher gloss than any of the HP or Ilford paper I've used, and, indeed, appears quite similar to the Epson Premium Glossy. The HP, however, does an awful job on the Epson paper. I'm very impressed with this paper, and it is a fraction of the cost of other premium papers, particular HPs. I would be very interested to hear other people's experience with it, esp. with regards to fade resistance (that is the wild card when using third party papers).

I really think that the longevity of a print has more to do with the ink, than the paper. If you

stick with printer-branded papers, then you're more or less guaranteed that there will be a

match. (Epson paper with Epson printer, Canon with Canon, etc.) But you need to be using

that manufacturer's ink as well to round out the equation.

I think no one really knows how long the best ink on the best paper will last. For sure, it will

be long after I'm gone from this earth.

When I want a good print, I send a TIFF to a lab to print. When I want a decent print, I use manufacturers inks on manufacturers paper. I'm a Canon printer guy and the lustre and density is un-matched using all Canon. That's not to say that I don't use Ilford and the Adorama brand papers, which are quite good for the price and offer more choices for finish. I have also used Kodak. The biggest difference has been how the paper is handled by the printer. Cheapo papers (like OfficeMax house brand) tend to leave a lot of lint behind in the printer and sometimes the edges are not finished well (sometimes not even cut sqaure!). One other issue I have noticed is getting the right settings to match the paper. Other than Canon brand paper, the Ilford papers seem to require the least adjustment, meaning that the settings Ilford provides for my printer give decent results right out of the box. I would suspect that the Costco brand paper will work better with some brands and printers than others.

"I really think that the longevity of a print has more to do with the ink, than the paper"

You think incorrectly. If you're using decent pigmented ink the paper will be the limiting factor and premature yellowing due to acids, etc is a major problem. Longevity = paper + inks. Wilhelm tests Epson printers of different varieties with a number of quite different Epson papers and there are significant differences between papers.

• 1 year later...

Joshua wrote: "With the HP 8750 the finished result has a higher gloss than any of the HP or Ilford paper I've

used, and, indeed, appears quite similar to the Epson Premium Glossy... I would be very interested to hear other

people's experience with it, esp. with regards to fade resistance (that is the wild card when using third party

papers)."

Hi Joshua:

If longevity and protection from ozone are a concern (see link below for more about that), I would be cautious

about using anything but a quality swellable inkjet paper with your HP 8750, which is a dye-based printer. I

think that your most affordable quality paper option is the Ilford Classic Gloss (or even better in my opinion),

Ilford Classic Pearl Inkjet Paper.

The Kirkland paper is microporous, and more suitable for pigment ink printers. Interestingly though, it did not

fare very well in ozone tests. Here is the test I am referring to: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/inkjet-fading1.php

Wilhelm-research.com also has some data on ozone resistance for many inkjet paper/ink combinations. Poor ozone

resistance means that unprotected papers not behind glass or plexi, or in a quality album, will yellow over time,

fade, and/or shift in color prematurely.

I hope that helps.

All the best,

Andrew Darlow -

Editor, The Imaging Buffet

http://www.imagingbuffet.com

Author, 301 Inkjet Tips and Techniques:

An Essential Printing Resource for Photographers - http://www.inkjettips.com

I just noticed this link to a fade test showing how various papers performed with the Canon BCI-6 cartridges (a

dye-based inkset not very different from that used in the HP 8750).

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/inkjet-fading.php

And from the nifty-stuff site, I found this very in-depth article by Michael Berger and Henry Wilhelm on the

topic of ozone fading:

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/ist/WIR_IST_Paper_2004_11_MB_HW.pdf

All the best,

Andrew Darlow - Editor, The Imaging Buffet http://www.imagingbuffet.com

Author, 301 Inkjet Tips and Techniques: An Essential Printing Resource for Photographers - http://www.inkjettips.com