yashica lynx 14e - does it work without a battery?

I just bought a yashica lynx 14e on ebay. It looks great and makes a pleasant

clicking sound when I push the trigger. The shutter doesn't open though, but

the battery is missing.

If the camera was working, wouldn't the shutter open even though the battery was

missing?

oh and btw, anyone know what battery I should get for the camera?

regards

Frímann

The Lynx14/E) is supposed to work without a battery. It seems as if the shutter is completely stuck. It is no big problem to get it back to work again provided the big (and soft) filter thread is undented, otherwise it will pose some problems to take the front lens cell off.

Even if the meter does not work you can still use it with a handheld meter.

Hi Frimman...I have yet to get a working example of a 14E...all the ones I have had have the same exact issue as you describe. Yes, you can get it apart but I gave up on mine after 3 attempts at three different bodies. (Paid less than 10 bucks apiece off of the auction.Figured it was cheap entertainment/education). If you go on Rangefinder Forum and post for repair, I believe there is someone there that repairs these guys) Awsome camera/lens when working great from what I hear!

Have Fun, mark

As with all old camera, it's best to buy them working since repair costs invariably exceed the value of the camera. I've had pretty good luck with the Lynx 1000/5000 models, at least the medium/high shutter speeds seem to hold up fairly well.

Of course you can try to remove the front lens cell (there is a retainer ring in front of it) and wipe the shutter blades with lighter fluid. The better method is to disassemble the shutter and clean the shutter blades separately, but this definitively is NOT a beginner's work. Wiping the blades from the front must be done repeatedly sometimes but in most cases this method will be successful, too.

Well I managed to open the lens by removing the front lens. Gave the shutter a little poke and it was loose. I'm rather convinced that this will happen again though. If it does i'll try to give the blades a clean. Thanks for your tips :)

I would like to give somewhat more hope but without cleaning the shutter very probably will stick again sooner or later. But once you managed to open the lens cleaning the blades will be no big problem. You may refer to the article "Canonet blade cleaning" on www.kyphoto.com/classics. An additional hint: after the first cleaning run, let the camera rest for one week or so, and do not touch the shutter. Set it to 1/500, and fire it, closely watching the blade. The blade shake should be hardly noticeable. If the blades open or close sluggishly, repeat the cleaning procedure. Some day it will work again.