Newbie would like a critique on first attempt to portrait.

The ones without the background light look pretty good, just need to tweak the exposure in PS. The rest look blown out, the light on the backdrop seems to be way too much, and the way it washes in from one side is not ideal.

I agree with the under/over exposure of the images. I believe that lighting is the key to studio portrait photography. You need to perfect your lighting before you market your business or start with outdoor portraits until you get more comfortable in the studio. About two years ago, I was in your position with similar results. I invested in professional lighting and spent much time practicing and researching. Best of luck and be open to constructive critism as the people here tend to be very honest but truthful and accurate.

I also started in my home in a small room. For a majority of my work in my portfolio, I just used one AB400 and one reflector. Some additional advice is make sure your backdrops are pulled tighter and pull the subjects out a little further from them. When I checked out your images, I noticed the backdrops before the children and it should be opposite. I would also reposition your light to the front right/left versus being at their side. It will give you a better fill when dealing with one child. I find using seamless paper much easier than muslins. Another excellent internet site for children portrait photographers is www.ilovephotography.com. It has helpful information for beginners up to the professional level.

Well, nice to have another Iowan! I am not from here either but am a transplant! Are you involved in the PPI here? I have learned so much from the classes and conferences I have been to in the last 2 years. Did you go to school for Photography? Or self-learned? I wish I was up there close to Hawkeye Comm College! Take care.

Nice work. The there are only a few things I would do differently improve these images. I

would pull the subjects further away from the background. The background is competing

too much with subject for me. By pulling the subject away from the background it will

soften the details of the background and depending on the light fall off of the subject you

will have a 1-2 f/stop darker background. On the boys pose I would not have him

hunched over so much. You want to look at a hair light. For the boy so his hair will not

blend into the background. The baby on the brown background I would crop out the hot

spot. With the baby shots I would crop tighter on the subject. One major rule to think

about the better image is capture the less work you have to do in Photoshop. There is a

between image triage and image enhancement. This is nice work and I think will keep on

improving.<div>00L0ze-36346084.jpg.cf6ea687663cc80576010d327eae42b1.jpg</div>

Thank you very much Ralph. I definitly will tighten my backgrounds and pull them farther away from the subject, I am not doing much in PS yet, I am trying to grasp the basics, and I keep thinking that I am going to learn to take great portraits so that I don't HAVE to do much, only if I want to. That makes sense about the hairlight. I am only working with one AB400 and some reflectors. Thanks again.

I should point out these are both single light set ups. using the same light and softbox. On

the rightI used a single white reflector. The one on the left was with no reflector. I lay odds

my backgrounds are not that different from yours. It is as much about how you place the

lights and your subject. On left I used Rembrandt Lighting (3/4 Lighting) I used Paramount

lighting (Butterfly lighting). I hate say it but it practice. It does look like you are on your way.

Nice intial try. I agree with the critiques given. Try and use a large aperture to obtain a shallow DOF, which will further help blur out your backgraounds.

Another suggestion would be to shoot in RAW. Then you can adjust the exposure (within certain limits)

Best wishes, good luck, and have fun!

Yinka