Epson R800 vs Kodak dye sub 1400

Hi there-

I am considering selling my Epson R800 w/ my 29 cartridges of ink and over 75

sheets of professional paper for a Kodak 1400.

Just trying to get some more feedback on the Kodak 1400 to make sure that's

what I want.

Also I'm ask $575 for the whole package for my Epson, do you think that's too

much to ask if I sell?

Please give me all you got!

I'm a professional photographer that mainly works with kids and high school

seniors. I'm trying to branch off into weddings and such and might print my

own pictures like I do now.

Thanks,

Danielle W

The Kodak 1400 is a fast turn around machine. Makes a print in about 45 seconds. Great for on location work. Each 8x14" or 8x12" package will cost about $1.90 depending on where you get your supplies. I find that DTGWeb is a great supplier with good support. I use Qimage with mine to set up mixed packages. I can run two printers on location and make about 50 prints in about 30 minutes using Qimage. Don't know about the R800 except I do use a 3800, 4800 and 9600. They aren't fast so wouldn't be good location printers. Life of the print with the 1400 is supposed to be about 70 years. Color is good once you tweek in your camera's color fidelity.

I bought the 1400 about a month ago and 100 prints later, I can say without a doubt that it produces professional quality prints. I was never happy with my Olympus p400 dye sub printer or my small Canon. I am using it to print studio style portraits (and a few 'fun' prints as well.

Color are rich. Skin tones are unlike anything I have seen or been able to reproduce from an inkjet. Best of all, there are no dots like injets (it is continuous tone). The prints look and feel like they came from a professional lab. The back of the paper is watermarked with 'Kodak Professional Paper' on it. It is by far the best home printer you can buy and far superior to inkjet printers (I have many for my business including the Epson R1800, Canon i9900 and even the new Epson R260 'high resolution' printer. They don't compare.

Prints take about 90 seconds. Unlike inkjet prints, they won't fade as they have a clear lamination put on them by the printer. Your customers will love them!

Kodak has a great deal on the paper - buy 2 and get 1 free by mail with the rebate form here:

http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/acrobat/en/professional/promotions/2007Q1/1400PrintKit.pdf

I have been buying the paper from Adorama through Amazon for $80 per package of 50 including shipping, making the cost per print $1.60. With the rebate, the cost is about $1.10.

Prices vary on the printer. Amazon is selling it for $299. Kodak offered a $100 rebate that ended last month. Not sure if they are offering any other rebates on the printer at this time.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I've got a 1400 and have printed weddings, senior portraits, and some display work for a local cafe and it's great. The colors are dead on and the quality is flawless. I bought mine and get supplies from Imaging Spectrum out of Dallas. I bought a ton of stuff from them when I was shooting for the Air Force and they really stand behind their products. www.imagingspectrum.com

Mark

Sell the Epson if you really need to, but if it isn't absolutely necesary, keep it around. It has a lot of other uses you cannot use the Kodak for. I have quite a few Epson printers running small jobs, like printing covers / contact sheets etc you woudn't want to use the Kodak for.

Ok I need to sell the R800 I already have 2 printers and 3 is just too much space. But until I do find a buyer for the Epson R800 can you tell me why when I print on the R800 on Kodak Professional glossy that if you turn it at an angle or to the side you get a "negative" looking area in the pictures? It mostly looks that way in dark areas ect. I'm hoping the Kodak 1400 doesn't do that