D200 owner to be

bill_keane2

I am a very happy D80 owner, switching to a D200 primarily for the extra tough

body/sealing. I'm going to be in an isolated, rugged terrain, and want the

xtra security.

In any event, right now, I shoot RAW, Adobe RGB w/extra saturation. I use

Capture NX to convert, with minor post-processing. Are there any setting

adjustments you'd recommend right out of the box?

I assume this body will be arriving with the latest firmware installed... Is

there anything I should test for immediately, or are the D200's pretty much a

perfected item?

Also, I've been using the battery grip for the D80, but I am inclined to wait

on the D200 because of it's larger size... Any thoughts? Or any suggestions

in particular?

Bill: don't know how big your hands are, or what lens(es) you'll be mounting... but I've got the grip for the D200, and am actually surprised at how often I DON'T find myself pining for it, even with a hefty lens mounted. I have large, orangutan-like hands, and while I really like the feel of that grip, it's nice to have LESS going on with the camera most of the time... and the D200's normal body has a great feel to it.

Now, the other issue: that grip does lend itself to one very important thing: using AA-format batteries in pinch. If you're out in the boondocks, that can REALLY be helpful. You're sure going to love that camera.

Regarding the grip, I have one and use it around 70% of the time. I don't use it when I want to shed the weight and bulk. Otherwise, for vertical shots, I like the second trigger button and the second set of control wheels. It's one of those things I never realized I needed until I had it. Vertical shots with long telephotos are especially easy with the second shutter release, since it lets my posture and hand/elbow position be the same as in a landscape shot.

<p>

I originally bought it when the D200's EN-EL3e batteries were virtually unavailable, and I liked the back-up ability to run the D200 using ordinary AA batteries. But now that I have a couple of EN-EL3e batteries, I rarely use that feature.

<p>

I normally keep both battery slots filled, but I rarely need that much battery life. Swapping batteries isn't that hard, so I probably couldn't justify the grip for my use just on that basis.

<p>

It's well made, with the same nice rubber textured surface as the D200. It doesn't interface to the D200 with the same solidity that, say, my MD-4 has when mounted to the F3, and I've heard some criticism due to that. If you want the ultimate rigidity for tripod mounting, you may be better off ditching the grip (but you may be using a lens with a tripod collar anyway).

You said rugged terrain - you don't mention climate. EN-EL3e's HATE cold weather and drain quickly. The 6 AA battery option saved me once in the mountains. Plus, Energizer Ni-MH can recharge in 15 minutes with the right charger - make sure you change d8 in the custom setting menu if you use this option.

I had the MB 200 on my D200 all the time when I first got it. Now it sits on the shelf. Three issues for me: 1. It makes the camera bigger and heavier than the D2x. If I want that much size and weight, I use the D2x. 2. It is not very stable on a tripod, no matter how hard you tighten the holding screw. 3. IMHO the weather sealing is suspect, given the unstable connection to the battery.

In bad climate, I would be very leary of putting the MB 200 on my camera.

Setting adjustments are a personal thing. I use the defaults or the settings suggested by Thom Hogan in his ebook. They are not so important to me as I shoot RAW. About the only setting I find useful is the contrast as shooting with lower contrast allows you to bring out the details in the shadow areas a little more than with the normal contrast setting. As situations demand, I make changes. I found Hogan's book to be invaluable.

Steve Abramson

Congratulations Bill on your soon to arrive new camera.

If you are shooting in RAW, then none of the image optimization settings make any difference. What these do is change the embedded JPEG that your camera reads to establish the histogram -- so raising saturation can actually lead to underexposure.

One other advantage the D200 has over the D80 is that you can install a uni-WB, which allows you to really see what your sensor is capturing. Here is a link to the uni-WB you can load onto your new D200 (without any software): http://photos.imageevent.com/tonybeach/mypicturesfolder/junk/DSC_0001.jpg If you use ACR, then you need to use this one: http://photos.imageevent.com/tonybeach/mypicturesfolder/junk/_AWB9759.jpg because ACR mishandles custom WBs.

I ordered the battery grip the day I picked up my D200 and waited impatiently every time I used it. I haven't taken it off since it came in. I have big hands and it makes the camera fit them. I've preferred this style configuration ever since I put an MD-2 on my F2. The extra battery, the vertical shutter release, I wouldn't want to use it any other way. BTW, I don't know about the D2X but the D200/grip definitely weighs less than the D2H.

Rick H.