Canon Rebates May 15th

While many people want to hear this, and while it's certainly possible, I'd just remind readers that it's a totally unsubstantiated rumor, and could well be just a guess (and or wishful thinking on the part of the "Canon buyer".

Canon do not "pre-announce" rebate programs and those who know about any are not supposed to reveal that information. Canon would get very upset indeed if anyone broke their "need to know" non-disclosure agreement and started talking about things they were not supposed to. Any camera store doing this might well find themsleves no longer on the "authorized dealer" list.

As with all unsubstantiated rumors, this thread won't be archived.

In the case of Canon Europe, they had established the dedicated EOS promotions website a fortnight before the rebates came into effect, as was recorded in this thread:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00KMZO

News of the offers did leak out ahead of even that via a dealer who had advance notice of them, and it turned out to be basically accurate. However, I think evidence so far for forthcoming US rebates is rather slimmer. It's worth keeping an eye out for more substantial confirmation, but we're not there yet.

If the pattern of rebates in Canada and Europe is any guide, there will be a rebate for the 30D if Canon does go ahead with US rebates. I would guess it will be for $100 - though it might be higher. In Canada it's Can$150, in Euroland it's Eur100 and in the UK 65UKP.

I suspect that IF there is a rebate, the 30D and the 5D will be included, along with the usual lenses. I'd agree with Mark that $100 on the 30D would be reasonable. maybe $200-$300 on a 5D. European rebates and even Canadian rebates may be larger because their prices start out quite a bit higher than US prices.

However again, there's no real evidence of a rebate yet. People who work in camera stores have been known to be way off base in their predictions in the past.

Dear all apologise if I bend this subject a bit.

I bought 400D + 17-85 IS USM on Dec.2006 because Canon Promotion program AUD $300 in Brisbane,Australia.

Unfortunately, up to know I haven't get that cash back.

Hopefully the others not having same problem

• 2 weeks later...

Here I sit broken hearted - waiting for a rebate that never started! :(

Waiting to purchase a 30D, 24-105 F4 L, and Speedlite 430EX to replace EOS rebel and 420 EX that was stolen from my car. Am I foolish to wait any longer for a spring rebate?