K 100 D manual lens menu problem

jim_may1

I received my new K100D last week and while going through the steep learning

curve, (from film to digital)I tried to use one of my old manual lenses.

I don't know if I am doing something wrong or the camera has a problem, but I

cannot access "fl with S lens used" or "using aperture ring" in the custom

settings menu.

I do recall seeing these functions one time while going through the menus.

Can anyone tell me how to get to these settings?

Thanks!

Go to the menu and use the right button to move to the "Custom setting" mode. 3rd menu to the left. Then scroll down to the 3rd page. The 2nd and 3rd items on that page are the settings you want. Make the "S lens" Available (2) and the the " Aperture ring" Permitted (2).

Once you are in the custom set menu you have to toggle down to the 14th and 15th choices to reach those settings. The owners manual is not very user friendly on explaining using older lenses. I had to do some surfing to finally figure out how to use my old Pentax K lens. This posting was helpful:

"==Necessary settings for using older lenses (pre A)==

Custom menu settings (remembered by the camera for future use):

- use of aperture ring: permitted

- focus confirmation with S-lenses : yes

further setting:

- put focus slider switch on manual focus

== Procedures to take pics with older lenses==

- A one size fits all procedure to take pics:

Put mode dial on M.

Select aperture on lens (not on camera) as needed.

Press AEL button (camera automacilly selects correct shutterspeed)

Take pic, or series of pics as long as the light in the scene doesn't change.

- An "expert mode" procedure for all older lenses:

Put mode dial on M.

Select aperture on lens (not on camera) as needed.

Pull lever for DOF preview.

Watch the light meter readout (-2 to +2 EV)

Adjust shutter speed or aperture as required

Take pic or series of pics

- An optional procedure for manual diaphragm lenses

(these are lenses where you see the light levels change in the viewfinder as you turn the aperture ring, such as screw mount lenses mounted with an adapter, but also a few older K-mount teles, T-mount lenses with adapter, fixed aperure mirror lenses, telescope adapters etc..)

Put mode dial on Av

Select aperture on lens

Take pic or series of pics, because of the Av mode, the camera will automatically adapt to differing lighting.

==Further things of interest==

- The optional procedure can also be used with auto aperture K-mount lenses, but pics will always be wide open, whatever the setting of the aperture ring

-It's also possible to select spot metering, which is espescially interesting with the "expert procedure"

-Function of DOF preview lever for expert mode might need to be set in custom menu on latest camera's

-Use green button instead of AEL button on camera's with green button.

-Automatic aperture screw mount lenses need to have a A/M switch on the lens, otherwise you need to think of something to keep the aperture pin pushed in. Also keep in mind that on some lenses (SMC Takumars) the A/M switch only works when the lens is mounted, so don't try to force the switch when just playing with the lens

O k, I installed a new set of 2700 mAh batteries today and managed to get right to the settings. (is it possible that the batteries were not letting me get there?)

Following Donna's clear instructions, it took me a few tries to get it right, but I managed to take some shots, they look dark and bluish cast.

They are indoor shots with natural light coming through a window, sunny 11:30 am.

I'll work at it, as I said, "learning curve".

Thank you!

Thank you

Jim,

yes it would possible the state of the batteries were preventing a setting from working.

I just had an issue on the K10D where the meter wouldn't come up using extension tubes (non A). Since this is really the only non A stuff I use I just realized it as I was going into macro mode for the spring.

It was working on my ist D so I assumed Pentax removed the feature with the addition of other features. not so, after removing fully and recharging both Li-Ion it worked fine.

Also, NiMh don't really give the camera enough power to be responsive.

I'd put Lithiums in there. I'm not sure if the K100 is cleared for the CR-V3 rechargeable lithiums, I know the ist D was not. But a set (8 with the battery grip) energizer lithiums last for about 1500-2000 shots in the ist D and the camera is responsive to the last shot.

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Jim, in case you haven't seen it, I started a thread on <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00L5hX">Batteries for the K100D, which uses AA size.</a> Justin is correct, <b>batteries can make all the difference!</b> If you don't want to deal with the proper discharge/charge cycle of NiMH, then just get non-rechargeable Lithiums or non-rechargeable CR-V3s. Note the K100D (and K110D), like the istD, do not officially support rechargeable CR-V3 because of their varying voltage (so don't attempt).</p>