Gitzo carbon fiber tripods

brucecahn

These are very handy for travel, BUT they are top heavy. Both I and one of the

customers here (this is a large format camera store) have recently had one of

these go over with an 8x10 on it, damaging the cameras. If you use one take

advantage of the ballast hook on the bottom of the center column. A plastic bag

filled with rocks, earth or whatever could save your camera.

The tripod is not top heavy, the camera-tripod combination is. If you put a 10 pound camera on a 4 pound tripod, it's reasonable that it will be top heavy. Wind, the evil "w" force, can be a real problem with a bellows acting like a sail-kite, a heavy camera and a light tripod.

I am not sure exactly what point you're trying to make except to factor the laws of physics into mounting a big camera on a light tripod.

Eric

Bruce, it's a good point and definitely something to consider no matter what camera/tripod combo you're using.

I use a heavy 4x5 monorail camera. Even with a 800mm tele there is very little chance of it flipping over in the wind on the Gitzo. The weight of the camera seems to keep the whole thing firmly planted. I think the 8x10 bellows is the issue. That's a lot of surface area sticking up higher above the tripod.

Personally I have more trouble with a Berlebach wood tripod flipping over than my Gitzo 1325. While setting up the tripod the Berlebach's legs naturally want to fold shut. The Gitzo has a fair amount of resistance--harder to open and close, but the legs maintain their position.

I have used a fairly heavy aluminum tripod for three decades and also used lighter units as well. Regardless of which was being used, I ALWAYS seek to add additional weight to it for two different reasons-- first is stability, although I always splay the legs sufficiently to prevent a topple (and check this to be sure). Second and in my opinion, the most important reason, is to help dampen vibrations in the tripods. Wood and CF tripods have fewer issues with vibrations, but all benefit from the added mass-- often a camera bag or similar device hanging from the head or lower when possible. Portable water jugs can also be useful for these purposes.

I've had a Tachihara 4x5 mounted on a light tripod blow over in a gust of wind. The camera got bent, straightened, then used later on the same tripod but with an important change.

On windy days I use a much wider leg angle than before. The loss of rigidity in moving away from the ideal 60 degree leg angle is compensated by a much less precarious tipping point. No accidents so far; fingers crossed.

I think it is more the choice of tripod than being top heavy. I have placed my 8x10 and 12x20 on my 1548 tripod in very windy situations and never has the tripod tipped or fall over. The smaller tripods are too light to hold these cameras in windy situations (assuming it was windy). If it was not windy then I can only think of operator error, not splaying the legs far enough.

I live by the sea and on open places the wind can be so hard that additional weight and/or spread legs are necessary, no matter how much the tripod+camera combination weighs. The wind will also affect sharpness by means of vibration, so better be careful.

Jorge, the 1548 is a very substantial CF tripod, and probably more than most here would be using since it is a $1000 unit and despite being CF still weighs about what my big Bogen weights without its head attached. It is probably the finest option for the formats you are using, but even so I'd be careful on very windy days unless you add the extra ballast I suggested. Splaying the legs wider is an option but as I well know Gitzo's don't have the inherent flexibility in leg angles like my old Bogen 3035, although the 1548 certainly has enough leg extension to allow a great deal of flexibility. Regardless, added weight will always benefit the final product.

Well RH, after 10 years of using this combination I figure I know what works for me and what I need to be careful with or not. The extra ballast,while a nice idea, it is a PITA when you are carrying 50 to 80 pounds of weight, trying to hook the bag to the accesory hook is also a non starter. I have always heard about this ballast thing, and so far I have yet to see a LF photographer that does it or uses it. Most likely because we all have tried it and decided getting a better tripod is the way to go.

I have always found it curious that someone will spend thousands on cameras and lenses and then try to get the lightest, cheapest tripod there is just to save a pound or two in weight and a few bucks. Of course then they have to get things to hang from the tripod so it would work.... go figure!

I use a lightweight Bogen/Manfrotto (3025 I think) tripod for my 4x5. Yes, it is a bit unsteady in windy conditions, especially with the bellows extended a lot. However, I am one of those few who always hangs something on the tripod for weight. I always have a pouch with filmholders, exposure record notebook and one lens with me. This goes on the lock knob for the center post before the camera is mounted. Even the minimal weight of 6-8 filmholders, a lens and a small notebook seems to add substantial stability to my little tripod. I also always carry a nylon "folding bucket" in one of my pockets. I can be filled with water, stones, sand, etc. and hung on the tripod for extra weight if needed, and doubles nicely as an emergency waterproof camera cover as well.

The light tripod/heavy camera combination is always a risk in windy conditions, so I have simply built tripod wieghting into my set-up routine. I hike a lot in rough terrain and scramble over rocks etc. often enough to make the lightweight tripod a real necessity.

I imagine a separate pouch with 8x10 filmholders would provide significantly more weight than I use, and give even more stability. the only trick is to find a hanging arrangement that prevents the bag (or whatever you are hanging) from blowing around in the wind and being more of a nuisance than help. My pouch wedges securely between the legs and is easy to work out of in its hung position.

Hope this helps save a camera or two from dings or worse.

Best,

Doremus Scudder

An old argument - gitzo cf pods are so superior in rigidity [stiffness and torsion resistance], strength to weight ratio, and manufacture quality it is not funny, way than any other material - could be why they cost an arm and a leg, eh? Good enough for Formula One and MotoGP motorcycles, which are subject to incredible force...

And for tripod anchoring, a strong elastic cord on the hook and trodden on and secured by a boot is *way better* than a bag full of whatnot hanging in the breeze, unless of course it is a sugar sack weighing many tens of kilos!

You can impart a great constant force with a couple of bucks of elastic cord, weighs almost nothing and takes up almost no room, and costs very little. I do this immediately after tripod setup, and watch the feet settle somewhat into the not so solid ground ground.