Canon 430EX Speedlite Flash

barb_rowland

For a future semi-pro photographer...

Upgrade the camera to at least a Canon 30D, maybe a 5D. This is not about image quality, but handling. There is nothing wrong with the XTi, but if you want to do this for money, get a camera that has better ergonomics. Buy good lenses -- not the cheap stuff. There are a few good zooms that cost less than $500, but most cost far more. You also need some large aperture prime lenses -- start with a 50mm f/1.8. For flash, get a 580EX. The 430EX is great, but again, if you are planning on making money with this the 580EX has a couple of features that *will* come in handy. It also has more power, and that is often needed. Also, get a good tripod and use it. Take some photography courses. Learn to use manual exposure.

For an alternative - see this set:

<a href="http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/05/round-up-starving-student-off-camera.html">Strobist`s Starving Student Off-Camera Light Kit</a>

Then read through their Lighting 101 to see why you should want all this stuff. Replace the Nikon flashes and sync cords with 430EX and ST-E2 controller if you wish.

At least consider getting a flash bracket and the Off-Camera Shoe Cord 2. For roughly the same money, a 430EX with off-camera equipment is much more useful than a 580EX that`s "stuck" to your camera`s hot shoe. (YMMV)

I think that 430 EX will be enough for the start of the career. Firstly you must learn how to use it. For the good weight balance and comfortable handling of XTi I`d recommend you to buy a grip.

Hi Barb!

The 430 EX is a good flash to start with, but I would recommend the 580 EX. Here is an example you can use. Let's say that you are in a situation where you need more than one strobe to do a portrait, and you do not have a typical studio strobe setup. You could use the 580 EX as your main strobe, the 430 EX as your fill strobe, and another 430 EX as a background strobe, or maybe even one of the less powerful units and tie this all together using connector cables, OR radio transmitter slave devices. This will be a good setup and the 580 EX is a good flash to use with the 430 EX as a secondary unit. Remember that the 580 EX with throw light farther than the 430 EX. You may have a situation where you have to have that much power.

Good shooting,

`What is the best choice long term `

Not the 430EX, its a great flash and ideal for casual and light work, But I can almost garantee that if you get a job with extended or heavy use it will fail you. eg. school pics, you may need to photo 500+ kids add pre flash & constant shooting it will overheat quickly, indoor sport, same thing etc. Once it does you`ll sometimes have to wait hours till it works again.

If you intend to make a living start right, minimum 580EX.

Good luck

"Not the 430EX, its a great flash and ideal for casual and light work, But I can almost garantee that if you get a job with extended or heavy use it will fail you. eg. school pics, you may need to photo 500+ kids add pre flash & constant shooting it will overheat quickly"

The 580EX heats up pretty quickly too. I've not had it shut down on me, but I've burnt myself changing the NiMH cells. The faster they charge, the easier it is to melt.