105mm f2.5 ai vs 135mm f2.8 ai (or both ais)

zvi_rotbart

Hi,

I am about to purchase one of those lenses mention above for the use of

portraits and for general use. After reading about those lenses it makes it a

bit hard to decide which will satisfy me more. I got the idea that the 105mm

is a really great lens but the question is if it is not worth to get the 135mm

for the extra focal length when this lens is also a quite good one too.

I will be glad to hear some suggestions...

Zvik

I prefer the working distance of the 105. One thing to consider for portraiture work is that it may be too sharp, and therefore unflattering to your subject or you may have to make some adjustments to the extremely sharp results from it.

I have both. I think the 105 is better as an all-purpose lens. The minimum focus distance is 1 meter vs 1.3 meters on the 135, due to this at closer portraits you will have almost the same covered area with both lenses (with a slightly different perspective). They have almost the same weight and size (the 135 is a bit longer)... unless you were shooting mostly h&s portraits I prefer also the 105.

For portraiture, the 105 is simply the better lens. Better working distance and better rendering. The 135's a great short telephoto, but you'd have to be looking at the 135 f2 DC to find a 135 that can compete with the 105 f2.5 as a portrait lens (Note, I'm assuming you're a film shooter by your preference for AI lenses and the 105 and 135 lengths for portraiture, if you are shooting digital, you want to be looking at a 50 or 85 instead, the 105 and 135's are too long for general portrait use on DX)

I also have both lenses and tend to use the 105 the most for portraits. It is a classic lens in the Nikon line and definitely worth owning. I occasionally use the 135 when shooting candids of my kids or for indoor sports or music recitals. I have the 105 in AI and Non-AI, and the 135 is AIS and Non-AI.

Wayne

I have the 105mm f/2.5 and love it. I also have the 135 f/2.0 AI Nikkor , and use it mostly for the extreme selective focus of that focal length and f-stop. My first choice for a medium telephoto is always the 105mm f/2.5.

You might think not only about the choice of 105mm versus 135mm, but where it would fall into a kit, or what other lens(es) it would be teamed up with. I often go out with my 35mm f/1.4 and 105mm f/2.5 as my only lenses. If I had the 35mm (and I usually do) and then had to skip to the 135mm, I would notice the gap more. This might make me feel the need for a third lens, and I like minimal two-lens mini-kits. On the other hand, if I were using an 85mm lens, then jumping to 135mm would make more sense to justify swapping lenses.

So ask yourself where this telephoto would fit into your existing kit.

Hi there...get the 105..I have both, and both have their functions; the 105 is definitely the better portrait lens, and as for general use, the 135 is great, but given the small difference, it has been my personal experience that the 105 allows a bit more "breathing room", as I have found, for some odd reason, it seems to be simpler to move in a bit to compose, rather than to back up... for instance, doing small theatre work, when you simply can not back up any more to do a close-up, with the 105 you have some leeway. Happy shooting!!