lens for fashion photography

pil_h.

Hi All,

First, I'd like to describe my background - which is pretty much a beginner.

I've been doing film for a year, but have decided to purchase a Canon Eos 20D.

I'd like some recommendations on good lenses for fashion photography. Problem

is budget-after the body, I've only got about $500.

The ultimate would be something like 85 f1.2 and 70-200 f2.8

With fashion you need to blurr backgrounds and you need to go wide open to get this. Try to get as close to these lenses as budget will allow, consider ebay, I just bought a Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro for ?100gbp ($200) and its a gem, razor sharp at f2.8 close up and distance

Dont disregard the Canon 50mm f1.8 on a 20d youll get some great results

Pil, if you get a 50mm Canon EF lens, I would suggest that you get the f/1.4 lens. With the l.6X factor, this, in effect, gives you an 80mm f/1.4 lens which is a very good start for fashion and portraits. The lens is about $300.00 US. Also get the Canon ES-71 II Lens Hood for it, and it is around $30.00 US, this keeps out extraneous light.

The 85mm f/1.2 is a superb lens but will set you back $1,800.00 US.

If you go with another brand, i.e., Tokina, you might also consider Sigma. Irregardless, you want to use fast lenses for the kind of work you want to do. Good luck.

How large a macro should I need? I've read elsewhere on this forum that it's helpful/necessary to have one, up to 300mm. If this is the case, is the 50f/1.4 okay to go with? Also, in choosing, which do you feel is more important, the focal length or aperture? Thanks in advance.

I have shot tons of fashion the best focal lens is based around the style you want I have a great friend who is an awesome fashion photographer who would use as wide as possible bringing in a background that tells a story, I prefer a 50mm equivalent so 28 f1.8 for 20d, the 10-22 would be my friends choice all outdoor shooting me I love studio, the long lens stuff is passe old school and not used much anymore

I wouldn't say that using a telephoto, 80-200mm range, is passe. If you're doing a beauty shot, a wide angle will give less than ideal results and a longer lens will give you great background blur. Of course for full body shots, the blur is kind of silly most of the time.

This is why I'd recomend getting a 50mm 1.4 for headshots and a 20 or 28 when you want to include more the background (or just back up a few steps;). Getting a cheap zoom is a bad idea I think. Cheap primes over cheap zoom any day for way better performance.

this is a great newzealand fashion photographer

http://www.tonydrayton.com/

most fashion is shot F8 or better everything needs to be sharp sharp sharp! No soft backgrounds the clothes must be seen any softness is done in the lighting which should be flat flat flat! Getting the idea, fashion photography is not catwalk that is sports photography. Mostly you will shoot with 1 light check out Michael Thompson for awesome lighting, find the sharpest lens with low flare I wold aspire to the 50mm F1.2 and a sharp wide like the 35mm F1.4

• 1 month later...