replacement for Nikon Coolwalker

leon_pryor

I have a Nikon coolwalker which I'm pretty dissatisfied with. It's really slow,

the battery dies quickly, and the hard drive just isn't as big now that I'm

shooting RAW on a D200.

So I'm going to replace it - I was thinking a mac book or a mac book pro. (or

maybe an ultraportable windows box) But I wanted to see if anyone had any luck

with any similar devices first.

I bought a MacBook (black) last December and I've been really happy with it. I have Boot

Camp installed and so it has both MacOS 10.4 and Windows XP loaded on it. It's the best of

both worlds for me. I like iPhoto as a photo organizer very much as well, though Picasa isn't

bad for Windows either. If I were buying a new one, I'd get the black one as it has the most

storage (120gb drive vs. 80gb for the next one down, which is white) and I think it looks

better too. I recently upgraded the ram to 2gb and now this thing screams.

Dave

I love my Epson P2000, and later models like the P5000 are far superior to it in speed,

memory and battery life. However, I now have a MacBook and I will probably bring that

instead of the P2000 on my next trip.

If size and weight are optimum considerations, the P5000 would be a good choice. The

screen is absolutely fabulous.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?

BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63061068

Leon, I have an Epson P2000 (the older version [40 GB] of the one that's out now which is 80 GB). It works very well, the screen is very nice. The only thing I don't like about it is that it gives each file it's own Epson file name and renumbers them (unless the new version has improved on this). I find it confusing, this could probably be overcome by using a better file system than I do (which is none at all). I have never had a problem with the battery running down, but I am also very careful not to spend a lot of time viewing the photos until I can get back to my hotel room to recharge the battery. But I usually get home without even having to charge the battery. I've since acquired a notebook for when I travel, but the Epson has its advantages because it is so lightweight.

Have a look at the Giga Vu Pro Evolution by Jobo. (http://www.jobo.com/usa/products/gvpe/

index.html). It's more geared toward the photographer than the EPSON, even if it lacks

something on the multimedia side. For example it shows the actual RAW file instead of the

little preview embedded. I have the previous model and have ordered the Evolution because

of it's syperior screen and great speed of transfer from cards.

Alex

I won't leave for a shoot without my HyperDrive Space. No screen to review each image, but its battery life is incredible (and also comes with a cigarette lighter adapter for charging on the road), it has great copy verification, takes a handful of card types and can easily be upgraded by replacing the hard drive (2.5" laptop models) with something bigger. At the time, I got a 40GB model for the price of ~3 4GB cards.

m