First Wedding Question

beth_dill

I have my first "real" wedding on Saturday (paid and alone). I'm wondering

what I need to bring...not equipment, I've got that covered, but other things

that may slip my mind that I might need. Like plastic bags, paper and pen,

etc. Mainly, I guess I'm wondering what's in your wedding bag besides the

obvious bodies, batteries, lenses, and flashes? Thanks so much and wish me

luck!

This is just guessing, as I haven't shot any weddings.

ADVIL/TYLENOL. I'd imagine you're going to have a)a spare body and b)your kit or BOTH

on your shoulder for 4-8 hours.

Hair ties - if you have long hair. I don't know about others, but I like to keep the hair out

of the way while working, so a great shot isn't ruined by a stray lock in the way.

Phone, on vibrate mode.

Your schedule of where-to-be-and-when, plus pencil to check things off.

Business cards.

ID/invitation, in case the usher is too stupid to realize the lady with thousands of dollars

of camera gear must be the photographer.

I very very very safe place to put your finished rolls or memory cards, not just in your bag,

like in a baggie taped to the inside of your leg...

But then again I'm not a wedding photographer, this is just what I gather from reading the

wedding forum sometimes.

Relax! I would be inclined to spend my time checking and rechecking the vital stuff ie: the cameras, cards, flash, batteries etc. All the other stuff might come in handy once in a blue moon but you have to weight your prep towards the vitals. Check and recheck and recheck again.

Nicola...believe me, I have checked and rechecked the vitals and will continue to until I leave for the wedding! I just figured I'd throw together a pack of some other things that would come in handy that I might not think of as well. Plus, some of the stuff others has listed may be vital to me taking good pictures...like water and advil! Camera, cards, lenses, batteries, etc. are my priority though, don't worry!

Bring adequate amount of CASH for contingency.

I know of a photog whose car was overheating on the way to a wedding gig. He kept driving and the car broken down a short distance later, engine was toast. He had to call for a taxi to get to the hotel, for $150. Barely got there on time. Good thing he had the cash, could have ruined some lives otherwise.

Actually I would agree with the step stool suggestion. FWIW I usually keep a bride barbie and groom ken in my camera bag! keeps flowergirls amused and makes for some cute shots :-) But I don't think they count as essential.

And I'd go with a credit card rather than cash, but that's just me. Wear flat, soft soled shoes and either pants or a skirt that allows you to stand up and step back in one movement without stepping on your own hem (don't even ask the story behind that recommendation!)

I have to second the Tide Pen suggestion. These things are like magic, I have used it on lipstick, grass, smashed bug guts etc... works every time. Saved a few brides from near meltdowns... especially if the mark on the dress occurs before the ceremony.

Also... a travel sewing kit... Those bustle things are flimsy, or for emergency dress fixes. I use mine all the time.

WATER, snack bars... WATER. I like the ideas everyone is giving here!

I like everyones ideas too. Especially the sewing kit! A button popped off the back of the dress at my wedding actually...before the ceremony it was pretty obvious, because it was a button that actually held part of the dress together, not a faux button. Thank goodness my mom is a smart women who always has a sewing kit on her.

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful ideas so far!

Blotter paper (for soaking up skin oil) and powder and brush for taking the shine off.

Sharpie (or other permanent marker). Let's you make notes on most surfaces.

A penlight or other small flashlight comes in handy for finding things if you're working in a dark sanctuary or hall.

A small pair of decent scissors (great for getting rid of loose threads; the mini-scissors in most sewing kits are crap).

A sheet or blanket for bride to sit on for outside portraits IF you're going to want her to sit on the ground or a bench or something that's not really that clean. It can be folded up and placed under her out of sight but it helps if you want something other than the typical standing up shots.

My advice is not about what goes into your camera bag but make sure you know where it is at all times. If its heavy you will be tempted to put it down, maybe walk away from it whilst arranging groups etc. Since you are on your own there will be no one else to guard/look after it. I am not suggesting someone would steal it, but someone could fall over it. If I have stated the obvious please forgive me.

Regards

Kevin

At the wedding I shot last weekend, the bride and bridesmaids all had strings hanging from their dresses that they wanted to cut. They asked, "does anyone have scissors?" I'd never thought about carrying scissors...someone found a nail clipper, and it did the trick. I might carry scissors (or a nail clipper) now!

And I ABSOLUTELY agree with the Tide pen...I've been there for a wedding-gown-and-chocolate-fountain incident, and a grass-stain-just-before-Naval-Academy-Chapel-wedding incident - YAY Tide pen!

Jen