Used 1dmk2 or new 5d?

bob_peters

The answer for you is going to depend on the type of photography you do, and how each camera stacks up against your needs. Obviously you don't need the frame rate of the 1D and prefer the greater resolution of the 5D. What do you do that would make use of other 1D features that the 5D lacks? Is that really crucial, or could you work around it?

I'm sure this has been asked many times over and as Mark mentioned it comes down to personal choice. I personally chose the 1D MKII over the 5D for its significantly better AF system, higher buffer, frames per second, ability to have AF on a f/5.6 lens plus 1.4X TC, and better build. People are quick to dismiss the 1D MKII because it is not full-frame but if you are a sports shooter or use it for images that will be cropped (e.g. birds) then there is no better camera at the price. 5D is a great camera for those who need a full frame camera. Noise is less in the 5D at high ISO but I don't shoot above ISO 600-800. Though the 1D is not full-frame but if you use a 17-40mm or 16-35mm that is plenty wide for a lot of people.

What is your 1st dSLR body? If you already have a cropped body then maybe a full frame 2nd body would be a nice complement.

I have both 1dmII and 5d. I use 5d for studio & outdoor shoot. For indoor & wedding works, I use the 1dmII because of better awb.

one more things you should know. The thing that really bug me about the 5d is the stupid LCD screen. It's not accurate, and Many have report it green/orange cast and not accurate. I hate the 5d's LCD screen! it suck! can't believe canon can't make it right with a 2k+ camera.

both are a keeper to me. AT ONE POINT, I WANT TO GET RID OF THE 5D BECAUSE OF IT'S STUPID LCD SCREEN.