MY F2 WINDER IS STUCK!

neil_rankin1

Sorry for the drama in the subject line, but I'm really bummin'. My F2 has never failed me, but when I

reached to it today to load film, the winder became stuck, and wouldn't complete its movement, and thus

enable the shutter to be released. The small winder release button is stuck up in the baseplate, and will

not come back down. I had the camera serviced by Sover Wong a couple years ago, and its never had any

problem like this, or any other problem for that matter.

So I tried to take off the baseplate, and quickly discovered that I need a spanning wrench to get the plate

off. I've never tried to repair this camera, but I would like to fix it if I could. At this point, I don't know if

the camera is worth the money to have repair, but I've had it for years, and I'm super attached. Anybody

have any advice on how I can fix my problem? I'm willing to get a spanning wrench and I'll try to get a

repair manual. Has anyone else had this problem with their F2? What to do?

I've used a paper clip as a substitute for a spanning wrench to remove the motor drive coupling on the baseplate of my F2. Bend the clip so that the two ends are parallel and the right distance apart, then grip both ends tightly with pliers close to the tips of the clip. Leave just enough of the tips protruding so that the tips can fit into the holes and still leave a bit of clearance between the body and pliers -- too close and you may scratch the body, too far back and the tips will bend when you apply torque.

On mine the screw was quite tight, be warned that you may uglify the screw or the camera body if you slip. The holes in the screw face will be disfigured if the paper clip bends.

It might be a good idea to use something to hold the drive coupling as well to keep it from rotating. I didn't, but in retrospect I think I could have mashed up the winding gears by not doing so.