Leica. How much difference beetween 180 3.4 Apo and 180 2.8 2nd version

simus

Hi,

I am thinkin about buying a 180 lens for my r8. I might chose beetween a 180 2.8 2nd version for 400 $

and the 180 3.4 apo for 1000 $. Both are in very good condition. Does anybody know how much optical

quality difference beetween the two and which is the best buy? Do you have images taken with these lens

to show? I searched on pbase but didn't find much.

thanks for looking / helping,

Antonio

I have them both an recently tested them on my DMR. The APO image quality is substantially

better. You probably know that the APO was originally designed for the Navy and is

optimized for infinity. Disadvantage is that its very slow to focus ..no fun to use for sports . I

like it for travel ..its light . The 2nd version 180 2.8 handles like a dream IMHO ...close

focusing is a snap . I originally got it for sports and for shooting children . It still has the

Leica look ..color, depth etc..but isn t as strong as the APO . The APO can be had for less

than $1000..I would target $800-900. Neither works well with the Leica extenders ..which is

a key advantage of the current 180 2.8 APO . I am looking for one if anyone reads this!

Douglas, my apologies. I take my coffee break in front of the same work computer and am probably sleeping then.

You guys with R lenses are often luckier than we "M" ies. I was always surprised at how good the Leica quality price ratio was on the R lenses, especially the 50 Sumicron and the 28 or 35 wide angles. I wonder why the equivalent M lenses are seemingly more expensive on the new and used markets.