Teleconverter Questions

nathan_cornelius

How do the Kenko Teleconverters compare to the Nikon? [Of any magnification.]

I understand that the Nikon cost more and are therefore probably the better

optically but what is the difference and how significant is it? It seems to me

that the Kenko series works with a wider selection of lenses. Is this true or

am I missing something? Thanks again.<div>00Kw6v-36241484.jpg.f8d569d33ff774b88364f7a22c9d5112.jpg</div>

If you want autofocus with a teleconverter on your Nikon, and are NOT using AF-S lenses, you want the Kenko teleconverter line.

I use Nikkor teleconverters, old school, manual focus only even with my autofocus lenses. That's just my preference. If I want autofocus (and I often do) I forgo the teleconverter.

Be well,

I use Nikon tcs, both mf and AF with my Nikon tele lenses, some mf and some AF and AF-S. In many cases, when I use the AF tcs, I focus manually. When I do bird flight shots, I am AF all the way. I have no experience with the Kenko tcs. You probably know that you will lose AF even with an AF tc unless you are shooting at a wide f stop.

Joe Smith

It's a bit complicated, but there is a table over at nikonians.com that explains it. I can

never seem to find it when I need it though.

Here's the fast and easy explanation:

Current Nikon teleconverters will only autofocus with AF-S lenses. They are expensive, but

the 1.4 and 1.7 are very good. Older, discontinued Nikon teleconverters will fit on a variety

of lenses, but you have to do some research to find out what fits what and what gives the

best results. Be aware that not all Nikon lenses can be used with a Nikon TC, due to

protruding front elememts etc. You'll find out either by consulting Nikon's home page (or

nikonians.com), or by the sound of broken glass when you try to mount it.

Bjorn Rorslett has revied some of the Nikon TC's at his website:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

Kenko (and the more or less identical Tamron) teleconverters work optically fine,

autofocus as well, with most autofocus F-mount lenses. They are not perfect though, and

EXIF-information (f-stop) may come out wrong. There have also been reports about some

AF-S lenses not focusing properly.

Sigma TC's work with Sigma lenses, and, as far as I know, only with those specified by

Sigma.

"You probably know that you will lose AF even with an AF tc unless you are shooting at a wide f stop". Not so - I have the Kenko/Teleplus Pro 300 2X, this will autofocus fine (albeit very slowly) at any aperture on my VR 80-400 f4.5/5.6 - ie even with the lens stopped right down at 400mm, giving 800/1200mmAF!

"Current Nikon teleconverters will only autofocus with AF-S lenses" - the Kenko also works fine with my AF-S VR 105, although I've not really tested it to any great extent on this lens.

I'm now considering getting the 1.4x version as well.