Best Flash for Nikon D200 Action Shots

jim_carmichael

Thank you Bob - I will stay on the safe side of the fence! Do you have any suggestions for a good lens? Also what type of auxiliary power source? Sorry i am new at this - but had pretty good luck so far - i will email you a couple of my photos. Thanks again for your help! Jim

Flash with a telephoto lens at a distance is not going to work very well, and the SB-800 doesn't have much reach anyway. You'd be lucky to get 50 feet, burning the foreground, indecent redeye and a black background. You would be better off using faster film or bumping up the ISO setting and using natural light. The rodeos I've seen are pretty well lit. A VR lens would be best, but you might get by with a monopod (if allowed). You can stop action pretty well at 1/60 second (and a good eye), but not camera shake in a non-VR telephoto.

You might be better off with pocket wizards and setting the flash manually. Pocket wizards will trigger up to 1600 feet away, even in full sun light. That way you can mount the flash closer to the action.

The strobist web site has an article on pocket wizards inside of the "Lighting 101" link.

I just used my D80 with an SB800 photographing dancers on a stage. It works reasonably well, but the AA batteries run down pretty quickly. Use fresh batteries and add the 5th battery. Be ready to change them frequently. If you are going to do a lot of such work, one of Nikon's auxiliary power sources would be advisable.

Be prepared for a lot of red-eyed cowboys and equivalent bulls and horses. If you can get

great bull riding photos in a place where the lighting is so bad you need a flash, I wish you

the best of luck. I've done it about half a dozen times and I am always disappointed with the

results and I consider myself a better than average sports photographer. The SB-800 is the

choice, however.