engagement shoot approach

robbie_caswell

I'm doing my first engagement shoot this weekend in Savannah at Forsyth Park.

Also, we will head to the beach for a sunset session. Never been there but I

found a nice virtual tour and got some ideas. Fountain, large monument with

steps, long shaded lane, greenery, historic setting, shade.

Equipment is an assorment of primes (35/50/85/200), two 5D's and an EOS3, and

a pair of 580 flash. I have a few ideas based on the virtual tour, but when it

comes to basic poses, I pretty quickly run out of ideas.

Weddings.... I don't find difficult, because I can lurk and always find

interesting things going on, beautiful people interacting, key emotional

moments etc...

Formals/posing... a great struggle.

How much do you pre plan shots? Do you let the couple interact and let things

just flow? A combination?

In the end how many images do you show? 20? 50? 100?

First, I'd find out if there is a specific purpose for the session. Sometimes they are looking for the standard announcement shot for the newspaper announcement or for their photo invitation or for a sign-in board. If that's the case, you may need a vertical or horizontal or series in a set format, or more close-ups or full lengths, etc.

Second, I'd be prepared with some basic poses/suggestions in case the couple doesn't just take off on interacting themselves. The latter would be great, but sometimes it doesn't happen and they look to you for direction. Or they may not be as body aware as some others and have a hard time relaxing into flowing poses. Write down the basic sets of poses--you're probably aware of these. The close-ups, the back-packing her, the walking hand in hand, the sitting on the grass, leaning against the wall, close-up/far away, ring shot, etc., and the one where she is leaning over his should with her arms around him. Plus, if they have a certain fondness for the locale, you might have them doing something they like to do related to it--so props, if you will. Ask them what they like about the place and let their answer be an inspiration in the kind of shots you come up with.

I usually end up with about 70+ plus shots from about an hour session, but it could vary depending on the goals of the session.

I just let them interact and tell them to try to forget I'm there. Lots of snuggling, kissing,

gazing ... all that fun, lovey-dovey stuff.

I usually end up showing around 35-40 photos, but I'm kinda picky :)

For inspiration, look at Jesh de Rox's website. I looooove his couples/engagement shots ...

http://jeshderoxweddings.blogspot.com/

I find that most couples are a little camera shy at first. They don't just automatically start acting all lovey in front of the camera. They need to be told what to do, and how to do it. I start out with some traditional images, the kind they would put in the newspaper. I let them know we will do a few traditional images first, and then get to the good stuff. This way, they start to loosen up. Then I start some of the "now give her a little kiss on the forehead... look in his eyes and tell him how much you love him..." If I would start this from the beginning, they aren't as comfortable. By the end, they are having fun, and I hardly have to direct them.

Adjust your camera angle, lens, conposition, etc. for each pose for variety. You don't need a whole slew of different poses for variety.

Get them in an area that has good light and some visual interest. Have them relax, talk, interact with each other. Do a full body vertical shot. The zoom in to waist level and shoot some more. Shoot some horizontals. Then zoom in tigher. Just their faces, tightly cropped. Move in physically closer and do some tighly cropped vertical shots of each individual when they are laughing or smiling.

Move the couple to a different location, like sitting on some rock, and do it again.

You only need maybe 3 different settings or "poses."

Just mix up your angle, lens, perspective.

Don't start too late. Sun sets fast. Allow some slack time in case they are late.

Thanks for all the help. I was traveling four hours each way and miscalculated my time. We were spent and finished about two hours before a gorgous sunset.

The park/downtown shots went well. Still a few things I need to work on. Had harsh light to deal with at the beach, but all in all I got several keepers.

Beautiful and sweet couple. It was worth the trip