Kodak Pocket No 1A

Beautiful camera, and great results judging by the River Oise shot. The other two were too big for a dialup look.

<br><br>

I have some notes in the vintage camera section of my web site on <a href="http://www.zianet.com/connealy/vintagecameras/kodak1a/index.html">modifying and using a 1A Special</a>. Mine looks to be an older model, and it has a simple ballbearing shutter and a Rapid Rectilinear lens.

<br><br>

On my second go-around with modifying the camera, I added some 1/8-inch rails on each side of the film chamber which I thought might keep things flatter, but I don't know that I really gained any image quality. Looking at your results, it doesn't seem like it was worthwhile.

<br><br>

I wouldn't be real surprised if Kodak offered the 1A with the Tessar in a Compur shutter, particularly in the European market. If so, however, I think it would be a rare thing to come across now.

Hi, Robert Lovely old camera and some very nice pics too, mate! Regarding the unusual combination of lens/shutter with that body, I agree with you that those components look of more modern vintage than the camera's body. The rim Compur came out around 1928 from memory, but the red bellows was ceased between 1911 and 1913 although the autographic stylus gizmo appeared 1914.

Coe doesn't list the f6.3 Tessar/rim Compur as an option for UK Kodak Ltd models of the Pocket 1A, but it is listed for other models such as the No 1 Pocket Series 11. I think we've seen enough of these incongruities in model specs to suspect that if you had the $$$ back then, you could get just about anything either as an original item or as a retro-fit.

I've got a pre-WW1 vintage Butcher Carbine No 5 from one of Kodak UK's main rivals that's fitted with an Aldis Oxys lens and Koilos Improved shutter, which aren't options that I've seen anywhere in Butcher & Sons adverts - but were options for Kodak Ltd to fit to contemporary Kodak models. Go figure, eh? I can't spot any evidence of later modification, so the logical assumption must be either Butcher & Sons fitted this lens/shutter combo supplied by Kodak Ltd, or a customer bought it "body-only" for Kodak Ltd to finish off. Either way, the old adage "The Customer Is Always Right - So Long As He Or She Has The Money" keeps coming to mind.

Since the lens looks to be a retrofit, are you sure that it focuses correctly at the film plane?

Try placing a few strips of frosted scotch tape across the open film back and see if it focuses at the settings.

You may need to adjust the infinity pointer on the bed scale. If it is really off than you may need to make a new scale and leave the pointer where it is.

Or you may need to shim between the shutter and front standard with some cardstock shims.

• 4 years later...

<p>I know this is a 4 year-old post, but:<br>

My neighbour has the same camera with the Compur (Tessar 1:6.3f 130m Carl Zeiss Jena) lens combo, so may not be a retrofit. We are in Canada and I saw somewhere in my on-line research that this one was made in Canada. It doesn't seem to be very common though, as this forum posting is one of the few I've seen. She was wondering what it was worth, so I'm researching that for her. I see most other "No. 1A Pocket Kodak" cameras going for $10 to $30, but wonder if this combo worth more?</p>