Canon Rebel XT + Nikkor 500mm F4 p w/ adapter + 1.4x

jam_pasion

Tony, the af confirm adapter activates the auto focus points in the viewfinder of the camera body. Although it won't make the lens an autofocus lens. The viewfinder on the XT is not that bright and manual focusing is a bit difficult in dim light. Now with a bit of help from the focus indicators activated by the adapter it should help with focusing and hopefully result in more successful shots.

Jam, I have this lens and use it on Nikon bodies. My view is that the grass on the left side of the image is sharper than any portion of the bird. I have no knowledge of AF confirm adapters or anything like that, but I can tell you from my personal experience with Nikon film and digital bodies that the "green dot focus indicators" in the bodies are not reliable indicators of ACCURATE focus needed for any kind of large enlargements or digital projections. The only reliable tool was my own eye and the camera's viewfinder. You should love the lens. I hope it works out well for you. Joe Smith

Re: Thanks, Joseph. I am loving the lens already. This lens is definitely a step up from my last rig - a Canon 300 f4 and stacked teleconverters which I had to focus manually. That viewfinder was dim. A 500 f4 all by itself is definitely a whole lot easier. Obviously I have to work on my technique now that I have some tools that will let me get tighter bird photos. Hopefully the focus indicators can be used as a guide for more accurate focusing. I think somewhere in the forums somebody had mentioned something about 'focus bracketing.' I guess I'll have to employ that technique.