Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G for portraits?

jarmo.glader

Im planning to buy my first "serious" lens. Have You any ideas how Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S

VR will work mainly in portrait shootings. My second alternative is Nikon Nikkor AF-D 85mm F/1.4 IF.

Lots of money this will be in any case so I would be happy for any advices or suggestions.

It depends. Image quality is second to none, and it has VR if you want to do your portraits

handheld, but it's heavy and long. I use my 80-200 AF-S for portraits sometimes, mostly

handheld, and it's really too heavy. If portraits was what I mainly did, I wouldn't hesitate. I

would get the 85 f/1.4 or the 105 f/2.0.

If you have a need for the zoom, an alternative is to use one of the 50mm's or the Micro

Nikkor 60mm for portraits. They are not that expensive and are useful lenses anyhow.

35mm or Digital 1.5x? If 1.5, you might find that the 70-85 length is too long, especially for

an indoors studio shot. 50mm f1.8 or f1.4 is nice for portraits on digital, so is the above

mentioned 60mm micro I imagine (never used it for that... I'm just guessin).

Peter asks a good question, film or digital. I would also ask, inside or outside and whether or not you plan to use a tripod?

FWIW, I have a long zoom but never use it if I am shooting just portraits. Instead, I use either my Nikon 50mm or Tamron 90mm macro prime (digital). Between your two choices, I would opt for the 85mm. Excellent lens for portraits.

I have both lenses, and assuming the focal length meets your needs, I would say -- if portraiture needs are at least 90%, then go for the 85mm. If portraiture needs are down to about 60%, then the 70-200mm's versatility wins out.

My 85mm is great for mid-chest to head with me about 7-10 feet away. For digital. At 50mm, you can fit an adult (6') into the frame 5 yards away. At 100mm, it's 10 yards away. 85mm is somewhere in between. Figure out what you'll be shooting, how you'll be shooting and how far away you can be.

I agree that it is a matter of preference. I own an 85 1.8 and the 70-200. However, the 70-200 will give you a wide range of uses including portraits. I use this lens for portraits and love what it can do the background. Of course, I shoot children, so I find that having the extra distance between me and them give us both more comfort. Weight is an issue with this lens, but you can learn to adapt. So my vote goes for the 70-200.

Thank You for hints Getlemans,

It seems that both lenses are excellent perfomers, thats make the choise even more difficult. Im shooting with digi, mostly inside in studio and never been comfortable with tripod. On weekend Ill get 85 mm for test, so maybe Ill be little bit wiser after that.

Thank You so much again.