if there's someone from the area that could recommend suggestions for some

good picture locations in a short time.

Also I've read on the board where Orlando Wetlands Park was recommended. Would

this still be a good recommendation being that it is June and would be

considerablely warm.

We've also found at that Friday while we will be there, the space shuttle is

scheduled to launch at 7:43 pm. So we were thinking about going to Cocoa Beach

for this. Does anyone from the area know if this is something a lot of people

will be doing so the beach would be very crowded?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cindy

Can only speak to the Oralndo/shuttle questions.... First. the wetlands have local birds/gators year round. a couple migratory birds will not be there, but if you have a long lens and a LOT of bug spray, the wetlands are prime birding areas.

About shuttle launches, during that time you will be in the afternoon rain pattern. Every day from Late april through November will be high in the 90's chance of afternoon thunderstorms. Shuttle launches are notoriously hard to predict, but Cape canaveral seashore is the best place to watch a launch. It will have quite a few watchers, espcially along the only route to Orlando, the Beach Line. If you are going just for the launch, prepare to head to the beach for the day and stay till an hour after launch to head back to Orlando. Or, if you are heading back after the launch, just take I-95 north to I-10 and call it a day. The Cape is a great beach area, but not great for shelling. Shells are best found on the west coast beaches.

Good Luck!

One thing about the Panama City/panhandle area..... the beaches face south. To get sunset shots, you have to turn your camera. :-)

As Richard said, shuttle launches are wildly unpredictable. They are often scrubbed for weather conditions, technical reasons, etc. If you want to take a chance on it, there will be lots of traffic heading to the beach that day so plan on a family day at the beach with the *hope* that the shuttle launches.

Sounds to me like you are returning to Orlando after the launch. If so, you will be on the same road as everyone else heading west and it will be very crowed after a launch. Depending on where you are going in Orlando, the return drive can be a couple hours.

I live near Orlando, which may not be the most interesting place photographically speaking. The alligator farm at St Augustine is a good suggestion but I think it's late in the season I'd call them on this first. The shuttle launch can be very spectacular so long as it actually goes off. The time you gave is 30 minutes before sunset, there might be some interesting clouds mingling with the steam and smoke from the launch. Orlando wetlands park should be good in the early morning when you might find least bitterns, otters, bobcats and enough alligators to keep you in shoes for life. Another good location is Lake Kissimmee for example Overstreet Road where you should see snail kites and maybe whooping cranes. I hope that helps. And enjoy your visit.

My experience over the last 5 or 6 years is that Gatorland is not nearly as good as the Alligator Farm for photographers. The AF is quite friendly to photographers--with a photo pass you can get in a hr early and stay past closing most nights for an additional $5 bribe to the keepers. It is possible to get into Gatorland early but my experience is that they are really unpredictable. I would not bother at this time of the year or in June with Gatorland unless it was cloudy out.

The AF can be spectacular in June with newly hatched chicks and older chicks making lots of noise demanding to be fed.

I usually cross the AF off my list of places to go in mid-july as it gets really hot and the summer monsoons start.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There are several places to go in the Orlando area. You can go north-east and go to Little-Big Econ State Forest. It's in SR 426 going east in the Oviedo/Geneva area. The real entrance is off snowhill rd, but the hikers entrance is at SR 426 and Barr st., near lockwood blvd. The hiking trail goes along the Econ river for a couple miles. On a good, sunny day, you can see gators, black racers, osprey, bald eagles, various hawks and falcons, the usual wading birds (herons, egrets, etc), turtles including soft shell, white-tail deer, wild turkey, otters, cotton mouth snakes, etc, etc. Ever since I found that place it has been the best place to find many different animals and great scenery pictures in one day.

Another great place for birds is Kraft Gardens in Winter Park. During certain times of year, like right now, Egrets, Osprey, Anhinga, and more come to this little piece of land to nest. Sometimes you need an umbrella to avoid being covered in poo.

Merritt Island is only an hour or so away and is an excellent place to find ocean life, especially the birds. The black point wildlife drive is real cool. You don't have to even leave the car. You just drive and shoot. There are many species in large numbers. Of course, being Florida, you can find many gators as well. One thing you'll see along the drive are signs pointing to Bald Eagle nests that are within range of cameras (usually only the ones that cost $2000). Manatees are also found here at the right time of year.

Check out my work-in-progress web site: www.FloridaJungle.com. It's meant to be a gallery and eventually, a list of places to go with as much info as I can give.<div>00PBa8-42953184.jpg.e5a0482a1ad7161cd48e05a5086f80e7.jpg</div>