Good dealers in LA

seb v.

Samy's Camera is OK, main store on Fairfax in LA. I don't think you'll get the prices you'd get in NY at B&H. They get pretty good dollar for their used stuff. I'm in Orange County, there's a Pro Photo there than is ok. Most of the retail stores in So Cal don't seem to have the best deals for used equipment. I tend to buy that stuff on line. There's Stephen Choi's shop, Steve's Camera in Culver City. He usually has stuff and is a very knowledgeable guy and great repair man. You might get lucky there.

Forget about LA dealers including Sammy's. My experiences were that Salesmen at LA camera stores can be very rude.

I never had good experience shopping at Samy's. However, they do have larger than average used camera inventory including Leica. You also should ask, if you want top quality gear, as they usually hide them until they see a good customer. However, be careful, they ask for high prices for gears in excellent condition.

Bel-Air cameras in Westwood also has nice Leica equipment.

You also help our economy though as our sales tax is close to 9%.

Kevin Cameras will see you on appointment basis at his location in L. A. I believe. He has some very nice classic Leica stuff, While you are in the area it wouldn't hurt to look. He does have a web site.

I've bought some '50s era Nikon RF lenses from him and I was quite satisfied with what I got.

Driving along the Topanga Canyon, there is Woodland Hills Camera, then going North off to Sherman Way there is www.canogacamera.com, then driving a bit North there is Hooper Camera off on Chatsworth. All on or little off the Topanga Canyon.

Canoga Camera has the same prices as B&H and Adorama in N.Y., and excellent reputaion and friendly sales force. Topanga Canyon will take you to the Pacific Ocean going South.

In Hollywood area there is Calumet, and few less known stores on the Hollywood Blvd.