Pro SLR/n vs. D200

I have a Pro SLR/n, I don't have any noise difficulties and have to say have been very happy so

far with it. The fact that it shoots full frame is a huge advantage. I think earlier versions of

the camera(14n) were prone to noise but were fixed over time with firmware updates.

Buying an orphan product like the Kodak/Nikon DCS Pro/n is in my mind a real dice roll. Given the gargantuan leaps in technology in DSLR cameras, I wouldn't buy one for any amount of money.

However, if I were going to do it, at the very least I'd contact Kodak tech support and find out a few things like the price of a shutter or imaging chip replacement, the continued availability of batteries, etc. I'm not saying you'll need to have these repairs done, but if Kodak is anything like Nikon in this respect, repairs are not inexpensive.

Although my day to day professional work is all shot with Nikon D2x's, I am simply amazed at the image quality from the D40x body I bought today, especially at higher ISO settings - so much so that I'll probably sell my D200 (deep backup) body.

This post isn't even remotely an attempt to shill my D200. It's not for sale. I'm just trying to emphasize that I really believe that improvements in DSLR technology are substantial as time marches on.

It takes larger cards if you have updated to the latest firmware, 5.4.9, which came a few months ago. It is not official released by Kodak, but there seems to be some engineers still working on it in their spare time.

But you have to be careful to select the right card. There has been a lot of discussion about different card types at the Dpreview Kodak SLR forum:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1026

I am a satisfied SLR/n owner. I bought it cheap two years ago and have never had a problem. Since I have Nikon lenses and want full frame there is no other option for me.

Jakob