New Computer ...

amy cupp

If I were to get a new computer this weekend (tax holiday : ) which one is in

your opinion best for wedding workflow? I am not meaning this to be a PC vs

MAC debate, just want honest opinions. I have an e machine (i know it sux)

that is on its last leg. What do you think?

I would go for the one that you are most comfortable with and can get the most for your money. It really does not matter, you will adapt your work flow to what you have and make it work well. My words of advice - one (pc or mac) is not better than the other just different.

I would go for one with a good graphics card, lots of ram, and a quality LCD monitor.

I have a Gateway Notebook...loving it! It has the AMD Turion, which according to my brother is supposedly the best processor. This is set up for media stuff, with the XP Media Edition operating system. It has the slots for the various digital media sources, CF, SD, Etc. It's fast and will hold tons of stuff.

I'd go with a Macbook pro 15 inch with glossy screen. $1999.

Here's the reasons.

1. No bloatware preinstalled.

2. No Viruses or Spyware

3. No matter what anyone says, your clients will see you as more professional when you show your portfolio on a Mac. (whether or not a mac is still better for photoediting, most people still perceive them as being so)

4. Wonderfully fast.

5. You can still run windows apps if you need to.

6. Bill Gates is the anti-christ.

7. Excellent support.

Seriously, I've been a PC guy since I built my first one in 1985. Never wanted to switch, never saw a need to switch, was downright fanatical about PC's. Last year I got totally fed up with the spyware and virus crap. I'm a PC professional and I was being eaten alive by some spyware that I couldn't get rid of. I bought 3 different anti-virus programs and none of them could remove it. About that time my laptop bit the dust and I really began to consider my next purchase. Now that Windows XP runs perfectly on a Mac, I couldn't find a reason not to switch. I know that if for some reason there was a PC app that I absolutley HAD to run, I could just open a XP window and run it there.

I've been running my Mac for about 9 months. I haven't felt a need to boot windows on it on abnout 6 months. Works like a charm for me!! I've not regretted spending the extra money. About to buy my second one.

You are gonna get a lot of different answers here. Don't like dual core, the AMD processors. I prefer the NEW Intel core duo. Core duo is for laptops, core "2" duo is for desktops. These new core processors are benchmarked faster than AMD. In 6 months though AMD may again have the faster chip. It's an endless game of who is better and right now Intel is.

Since you will be doing photography get a good fast video card, at least 256mbs. I agree that you need atleast 2gbs of ram, if you can get 4 thats even better because Vista 64, not Vista 32 is a memory hog. When Photoshop CS3 comes out you will be glad to have 4gbs of ram.

For laptops we use Sager because they have 20 inch screens. Not cheap though.

Desktop computers I build myself as I have a degree in computers and also certified by Microsoft. The 500gb hard drives are only about $150 or less now. We are using XP X64 so we can run 8 gbs of ram on the mother board. With Xp Home or professional and Vista 32 you cannot run more than 4gbs. I prefer to build my own as you save a lot of money when you need or want to upgrade. If you want a really super fast system, a rocket, Intel has a quad core out, as well as the core 2 duo's. The cost of a quad core is about $1000. This price will come way down in 6 months.

Actually Bob, you got it slightly wrong. The Core 2 Duo is a newer version of the Core Duo processor. Both laptops and desktops can use Core 2 Duo processors.

Amy, if you have a friend who uses a Mac, go try it out. I am looking for a notebook right now but don't want to go the Mac route 'cos i tried my friend's Macbook Pro and i couldn't get the hang of the interface. So PC it is.

Currently i'm looking at 2ghz Core 2 Duo, 2gb RAM (4 is too costly for a notebook), 100gb drive and a dedicated graphics card. If you're looking for a desktop i'd go similar but have 4gb ram and 2 big honking hard drives. You can use one as a scratch disk.

Mac verses PC, film verses digital, RAW verses jpg ... etc, etc., etc.

One thing I can say with a fare amount of confidence is that you can never be to rich, have

enough RAM or too much hard drive space : -)

So, my advice is to get a tower from either camp (PC or Mac), and cram it with all the memory

you can afford but still having room for more. Perferably a machine with as many processors

as you can afford.

If you're comfortable with Windows, get a new Windows box. Most of your software will still work and you'll have zero relearning time. If you've used Macs and like them, get a Mac. Having been brought up on UNIX and programmed for DOS and Windows, I'm not comfortable with Macs, even WITH a three button scroll-mouse, so I still suffer with XP. (Actually, I use the XP box for PS-related stuff, and a Linux machine for everything else.)

There's really not $.10 difference between AMD/Intel/Single/DualCore, etc. A dual core won't get you the 100% speed increase you'd need to notice the difference. Megahertz is still megahertz (who was it who said "There's no substitute for cubic inches"?). Cache memory, now that can make a big difference, especially when you're running several programs. Get the fastest processor you can afford, with the largest cache.

Lots of spindles, ie, more disk drives. RAID is not all it's cracked up to be these days, but if you can get a machine capable of supporting more than the usual 4 IDE/SATA drives, that's a definite plus. You can give PS it's very own scratch disk and keep it happy all day.

As for brand, here's a top secret tip: check your local weather reports, see what the guys at Weather Central are using; they've done their homework vis heavy number-crunching graphics. If it's a local brand, go see those folks about building you a box.

Workflow tip: you can get more done with two cheaper computers, especially if you run batch jobs like Dxo or script PS to add your sig line or print your own proofs/album prints. I like to start a run, then switch to the Linux box while it's churning.

Keep the eMachine, maybe with an upgraded board, etc. (Gigabyte and Newegg have replacement power supplies reasonable priced, and that's what usually goes first on eBoxen) and use it for mundane, scriptable stuff, like burning CDs or an extra file server. Maybe upgrade it to Linux and use it for your internet work. Those things are like Jeeps, cheap and rugged.

The only thing I can advise is not to buy a box with Windows VISTA. If you can get an XP box, go for it. If you prefer Macs, go for it. But as a general rule I never buy an operating system the first year its out. These things always seemed rushed to market and have tons of problems and are being issued new patches for the first several months of their existence.

Honestly, get a Mac. For anyone that doesn't think they can understand the interface or learn how to use a Mac I've got a few things for your consideration:

1) Don't over think it.

2) EVERY Apple retail store offers FREE classes every day. Check it out online. http://www.apple.com/retail

3) If the FREE classes don't do it for you, you can get one-on-one instruction for only $99 a year by people who know the applications AND the industry.

1. Whatever you get, get the fastest CPU and most ram you can afford. <p>

2. You will want at least a couple LARGE external hard drives for storage and backup.<p>

3. Your MONITOR is your main working area. You'll be staring at it and processing your

images

on it all day long so it's important to have a nice one (for the sake of your images and your

eyes). I'd give up a little on the computer itself, if it meant having a better

monitor. A nice big good quality monitor is worth it and can last through a couple or more

generations of computer upgrades.

As someone who just did the cost/benefit of most of the CPUs for self build (I do not recomend a MAC, to limited in upgrades and applications), I found the AMD X2 4600+ 65W AM2 to be the best buy. Dual core is the way to go with newer applications.

I did want to clear something up though. The video card only matters if you add special effects from a video application like Borrix FX for a SLIDE SHOW. If you don't do slide shows... the video card means nothing to graphic apps like Photoshop. Not a darn thing.

I prefer Open GL cards I find are more accurate and easier to profile, but that is as far as it goes. Oh, and most of those you will find only have 64MB - 128MB on them.

Do not over buy on the video card for photo editing. You get zero return. If you don't believe me... email Adobe and ask (I did).

On the other hand, you get noticible return for things like faster ram (higher rating, ie, PC2-5300 vs PC2-6400... the 6400 is FASTER), or more responsive ram (lower CAS numbers). And finally... RAID 0 (striping) will spead things up.

Hopefully that helps.