Which macro lens for my K10D?

sphinx1000514

I have a Pentax K10D and I am planning on purchasing a 1:1 macro lens.

I would appreciate any advice you have regarding this purchase.

Here are my choices:

Pentax Telephoto SMCP-D FA Lens (100mm, F/2.8)

Pentax SMCP-D FA 50mm f/2.8 MACRO LENS

Sigma Normal 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Autofocus Lens for Pentax AF

Tamron Telephoto Macro Di Macro Lens For Pentax (90mm, F/2.8)

Sigma EX DG Macro Lens for Pentax (70mm, F/2.8)

Sigma Telephoto 105mm f/2.8 EX Macro Autofocus Lens for Pentax AF

Please let me know which lens you recommend and why. I will mainly be using this

lens for macro photography of insects and plants. I am currently leaning towards

the Pentax Telephoto SMCP-D FA Lens (100mm, F/2.8). Is this a wise choice, or is

it not as good as the some of the other ones listed above?

thanks for the help,

Nolan Evans

It's pretty hard to find a bad macro lens from the traditional lens manufacturers, so all of the above should have excellent image quality. The Pentax 100mm f2.8 and the Tamron 90mm f2.8 are certainly very good.

More important is probably to get the right focal length... a lot of people find that 50mm is too short when dealing with insects, and even 100mm can be a problem.

Personally I'd go for the Pentax 100mm f2.8 since it is fairly light and compact.

Cheers, S

I have the D-FA 100mm. I don't think autofocus lenses need to be avoided, but most likely you won't want to use AF much, so older manual lenses work well too. If the insects are still alive, you'll probably want the 100mm rather than the 50mm to give you a little better working distance from the subject. As S. Brown said, there really aren't any bad macro lenses here.

<P>I'll just throw one more in the mix, though it might be a little harder to find and might be considered a little more exotic: <A href=http://www.voigtlaender.de/cms/voigtlaender/voigtlaender_cms.nsf/id/pa_asan6m4dyb.html>Voightlander SL Macro Apo Lanthar 125mm</A>. Here's a <A href=http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/voigtlander_lanthar_125_25/index.htm>review</A>.

Try to find a Kiron, Lester Dine, or Vivitar Series 1 105mm macro. They're the same lens. Goes 1:1 and can't be beat. But you'll have to use manual focus, which is no big deal for macro.

Second recommendation is the Tamron SP 90mm macro. The newer version goes 1:1. The older version goes 1:2. Pretty nice lens.

In the March 07 issue of Practical Photography they tested macro lenses. I was planning on getting the Pentax 100mm f/2.8 D-FA. It was rated three out of five stars. The Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di was rated five out of five stars, and given a best buy. Looking at the test cards it is very easy to see that the Tamron is sharper, and cheaper. The only other two lenses that got a five out of five were Canon and Nikon lenses.

I use Kiron/Vivitar Series 1 50mm and 105mm lenses. Either one is good. Yes, the 105 length is good for insects, but walking trails, I've found I usually just use the 50mm on my istDS. It's an effective 75mm field of view, and makes excellent other-than-macro shots.

Also effective in shady areas where handholding is a bit of a challange.<div>00KrQn-36153884.jpg.23685cdc7e3d8c00e265b4dce446734b.jpg</div>

Ignore autofocus - go for one of the pentax A series secondhand. Dream buy for insects (especially ones you don't want to have to immobilise with a pin) would be the SMC-A* 200mm f4 macro (although this seems as rare as hens' teeth), but otherwise try to get hold of the SMC-A 100mm f 2.8 macro.

Also get an off-camera flash adapter - i have a manfrotto bracket that allows two TTL flashes to be used on either side of the lens.

Hai,

Have used a Panagor 90mm 2,8 M42 lens with original Pentax adapter, with very good results. I just bought a Vivitar 2,5 105mm KA lens, first shots are very promising.

Loose the AF as others said as the main use is macro, AF is 'no good' for that there is so much detail you wan't to be in control. Even for portraits it is nice to focus yourselve. I think MF makes you think more about compostion.

Ton