Do you give more to client than what you were paid for...

tonylarcombe

than you were hired for ? do you do the job that you were paid for, whether

it be 5 hours and post the photos to a website, or 1 hour and give them a CD,

or 8 hours and a bunch of 4x6's and then do you go over and above and surprise

the couple with one or two extra 'gifts' that they weren't expecting.

If so, what ?

Just wondering,

Tony.

I always give more, but it's not the same every time. I gave 2 brides 16x20 prints with some digital effects I'd been experimenting with. The turned out great and I had already ordered the prints so I gave them their own copy. I stay between 30 minutes and 1 hour longer than my contract states about 25% of the time. I don't advertise online proofing, but I always give it to couples so they can view their proofs on their honeymoon, waiting a week or two is probably pretty hard for a bride so I enjoy doing that at the last minute as a surprise.

I always give more also. I will do whatever I need to do the day of the wedding. Some brides hadn't hired me for the getting ready images, but if I am at the church ahead of time and they are getting ready, I will usually go and take a few. I don't do as many as if they had hired me for that, and I don't go out of my way for it either. If the timing works, I do it.

I usually make them a slideshow without telling them. When they come to pick up their proofs, I surprise them with the slideshow before they see their proofs. That way, the first thing they see is the slide show. It has a lot more impact than just looking at a book of proofs.

I always give them a little "mini album" when they pick up their proofs too. This is a 2"x3" self mount book. It has 20 sides, and I put my favorites in it. The last page has my contact info. It is meant as a marketing tool, because they will put it in their purse and show everyone. So, they view it as a gift, and I view it as a marketing tool.

I did have one potential bride call and ask if the slide show and mini album were included in the package. She was refered from another bride that I had done this for. I told her that I usually like to give the bride and groom a gift, and at the time, that was my gift to the bride and groom. I can not guarentee that I will always give the same gift. That way I am not tied into doing it for every wedding.

After signing the contract I send a care package with a personal note, a starbucks giftcard and some wedding candies along with the business stuff. After the wedding I include a gift ceritificate for one free enlargement (above what is included in their package). Everyone loves to get things free!

• 2 weeks later...
I recently had a mom of the groom order over $170 of 3.5x5 of the wedding shower alone!! I was shocked that someone paid for just a shower to be photographed (in addition to the wedding). I upgraded the 80+ 3.5x5" to 4x6"s so that it is easier for them to find a slip-in album. I also give a wedding gift- not much- but something nice that tells them that I appreciate their business. I don't always do the same gift. Lately it has been picture frames that have a wedding look to them. Also, the same couple whos mom ordered the 3x5s asked me to come and photograph the rehersal and dinner. I told them I would come early at no charge if they paid the hotel. I kind of regret not charging anything for the many extra hours being away from my family but maybe I can enjoy a nice break from my terrible-twos little boy!