which is better EOS400D or NIKON D70

javad_farsinia

IMO,

Its not about the camera body, its about the lens choices.

If you like the efs 17-55 2.8 ISU, then buy the canon. the nikon version has no VR.

If you like the 18-200 VR, then get the nikon, there is currently no canon available like it.

BTW, the d80 is more likely the counterpart of the 400D, than the d70.

Javad> either camera will get you brilliant photographs if you are a brilliant photographer. Both will take terrible photos in the hands of a terrible photographer

short answer, either camera. there's nothing that one of them can do really well that the other can't. go to a shop, have a play with one, and buy whichever feels most comfortable in your hands and which has the best price for your budget

BUY what you want not what we think is good for you: But allow me to chime in and tell you too look at the Pentax K100 or the K10D! K10d has shake build into it so you do not need to nuy special for Image stablization! good luck with what you get ,Now for the final note if your only going to foto a baby get your self a P&S camera?

If you truly are limiting your decision to the two bodies (Canon Digital Rebel XTi and Nikon D70), then I would go for the Canon, simply because it allows for a larger ISO range (no ISO 100 on the Nikon) and the Canon will give you an additional 4 Megapixels. However, you should indeed look at the whole package, including what you might buy down the road. Then again, I think that even when you do that, you'll likely be better off with the Canon. ;-)

I was toying with the idea years ago about becoming a professional and switched from pentax to canon in order to have access to a broader range of pro lenses and better high-end bodies. Now that I'm in professional school and going a totally different direction, I have sold my pro lenses and use a consumer DSLR. If I were to start fresh today with no professional aspirations, I would totally go with Pentax. In the consumer range you get much more for your $ (like IS in the body) and you can get some fantastic glass to work on your body for cheap and from decades of quality manufacturing and design. <p> Really consider Pentax in your buy if this sounds like your goals.

Canon and Nikon both make outstanding camera and great lenses, and fine photographers

use both systems to produce excellent work. As someone pointed out, there are even

more excellent options if you

consider some of the recent offerings from Pentax and Sony and a few others.

The main thing is to think through the specific setup you are working towards, in the

context of considering what gear will be most useful for the specific types of photography

that you do. Once you have that sorted out a bit, it is possible that one or the other brand

may present some advantages to you.

Good luck with your decisions.

Dan

Javad,

since you are in the Canon Forum, go Canon.

However, the body is not as important as the whole system. if you are not going to get a whole system and just want simple snapshots, go Point and shoot and save yourself a whole lot of money. However, my advice is the canon system is easier to figure out, all EF lenses work on all EOS bodies, film and digital. The only thing you need to remember is EF-S lenses works on 1.6 Crop bodies only except for 10D. The lenses will not fit the Full Frame or the 1.3 bodies.

On nikon, some bodies will only autofocus with AFS lenses, some will af with AF and AFS lenses and its a little more confusing.

If you do grow as a photographer, generally speaking, we have more options in the Canon world versus the Nikon world.

Also, Canon support has known to be wonderful while Nikon support has been known to upset even the most hardcare of nikon supporters. hope that helps.

<p><i>As someone pointed out, there are even more excellent options if you consider some of the recent offerings from Pentax and Sony and a few others.</i></p>

<p>I think that should probably be worded like this, instead:</p>

<p><i>As someone pointed out, there are even more</i> options (also excellent)<i> if you consider some of the recent offerings from Pentax and Sony and a few others.</i></p>

Nikon D70 is an fairly old model by now and are replaced by D80. The new D40 (6 Mpix) and D40X (10 Mpix) are better choises for a starter in my opinion. Nikon also provide a optically good kit lens 18-55.

Canon XTi/400D is a new and a very good camera but its 18-55 kit lens does not make justice to the excellent sensor.

Canon makes some of the most desirable zoom lenses at present (at a premium price) and its a good reason to buy into the system for someone who plans future investments in expensive top quality lenses.

Else, you get more for your money with the similar priced Nikon D40X, thou with limited options for third party lenses (Sigma, Tokina etc). Nikon D80 is a significant better body to work with than Canon Xti but also more expensive. Nikon offer more lens options at moderate price level.

The real bargain kits out there are Nikon D40, Pentax K100D and Canon XT/350D (the older model).

That was my personal subjective opinions and other may disagree. For one,I prefer the noise reduction of XTi over D80 but many others like it vice versa.

OK.. try this on for thought. I was using just Canon, until my RebelXT got the dreaded

ERROR99 message and kept malfunctioning. I was using an older third-party zoom from

my film camera. Well, I put the kit lens back on and still got the errors and did all the fix

tricks without any fix. I then upgraded to the Canon 28-135 IS USM lens. Fixed the

problem.

So now I am paranoid about upgrading to another Canon body even though my RebelXT is

working fine. I just bought the Nikon D80 with a Nikon (I am totally paranoid about third

party lenses now) 50mm f/1.4D. I'm obviously, from my choice of lenses, planning on

using the two camera for different types of environment, but at least I know I have a

second body that won't have the same problems.

I mention all this because the question seemed to ask which is better... Canon or Nikon...

my solution (for my situation) was BOTH. I am very happy with both cameras, but the

Nikon has a more solid feel to it.

Another option might be the Nikon D40x but be wary that it only accepts digital-camera

lenses because the focus is in the lens, not in the camera.

Dpreview.com started some years ago with 50/1,8 for Nikon just because they happen to have one. They have chosen to continue with that so anyone can compare different Nikons to eachother and rule out the lens as a factor.

For comparisons with other brands it doesnt matter since the 1,8 version is as good as the 1,4 version at f-number 8,0 or 9,0.

Dpreview.com are highly regarded for its in depht reviews of cameras and for being fairly neutral.

For someone who are comparing DSLRs like XTi and D40X it is important to remember that sharpness and contrast only apply to the lens in the test.

Mounting a kit zoom lens will dramatically change the performance, especially off center of the image.

• 1 year later...