Hi - first posting on this forum I think - I tend to stick to the large format

section! I'm in the process of planning a photo trip to Iceland - flight

already booked from 16 to 27 July 2007. I'm hoping for any advice that people

can give me - either visitors or residents! In particular any advice re the

North of the island, especially around Krafla area, how close are you allowed

to the fumaroles - any fences/barriers? Any other useful advice would be most

welcome as I'm planning on renting a 4x4 and camping (wild) for most of the 11

days. Thanks in advance Paul

rent that 4x4, take the first turn up toward the mountain areas, and get lost (ment in the best possible way)..

<br><br>

i'm not sure if there's a bookstore at the airport, but i'd suggest to make your first visit to one, check out the local tourist/photo books, and avoid doing the same photos.

<br><br>

i'm green with envy, don't think i'll be able to take any vacation there this year, and i wish you the best of luck,.. but most of all, ENJOY!!

I was in Iceland last August though mainly along the southern coast and in the southern interior so I'll restrict my comments to this.

Car hire in Iceland is seriously expensive. Further after looking at a number of alternatives in planning my trip, most car hire companies specifically exclude travel on gravel roads which is to say that if there is damage caused by travelling on these roads, or you suffer a breakdown on these roads then you are finacially responsible. I found only Avis that did not include these terms in their contract.

You'll need to drive with care - fording streams is not a rare event and there are most often no clues whatsoever about how deep the water is. That aside the driving on gravel is easy and certainly nothing compared to the sort of conditions you'll find in 4wd routes in the Rockies for example. There is however some moderately serious washboarding which keeps your speed well down and threatens your fillings.

When you collect your 4wd check the tyres very carefully. The hire companies know very well that the 4wd will be taken on the gravel and that wear on tyres will be severe. I've seen rental SUV's sent out with the tyres worn down to the cord and with street tyres

(well you aren't supposed to take them on serious gravel, right?).

Most of the photographs I've seen from Iceland are little more than unstructured jumbles of rock. A couple of books that will show whats possible:-

Lost in Iceland by Sigurgeir Sigurjonsson ( the best)

Iceland by Patrick Desgraupes<div>00Km1s-36040384.jpg.69ae047b9bb16a6efec5aaac8cf6ca47.jpg</div>

Thanks for the replies - nice pic David! I have researched the best possible price for a small 4x4 and it works out at ?900 GBP for the 11 days! I have read horror stories regarding rental 4x4's not being "suitable" to gravel roads with regards insurance companies - I'm still trying to find/get a reply from a rental company regarding this sort of cover. I plan on keeping the driving as simple as possible as I'm travelling alone and don't want the problem of getting stuck in a river on my lonesome! As far as photographs of Iceland, I have a copy of Patrick's book - real inspiring stuff and I have a copy of "Lost in Iceland" that should be delivered this week. I have been poring over maps of the island for the last 3 months and have a good idea of the locations I want to visit.Any more advice is most welcome! Thanks again Paul

• 2 weeks later...
You do not need to go far in Iceland to be alone and be amazed. Within a couple of hours from the capital you have the first glaciar and Gulfoss. The south is beautiful with incredible young lava flows, cliffs and lighthouses. The trip to puffin Island from the harbour in Reikjavik could reward you with incredible shots.I was in a conference so I could not be around a lot but it was amazing. What I mean is try to find your way around with a tough toyota and always stay within 20 miles of a near by town or village in case things get ugly.Weather can change in 1/2 hour and a dense fog can take over.Roads are different and not always firm and smooth. Have a great trip!!Hope this was useful.

Paul - make sure you take the best advice you can get on the 4x4 you hire and have a good idea of where you want to go. I've been to Iceland several times mostly doing extended hikes. I've seen 4x4s towed out of rivers by tractors and even seen specially adapted Land Rovers have to turn back at river fords. Some of the roads in the interior are only open in the summer and even then open is a matter of interpretation - plus if you do get stuck there's mostly no mobile phone coverage in the interior.

As regards the Krafla area in most places you can get pretty close to the fumaroles and mud pots. There are some simple ropes around them but not too intrusive and should be easy enough to edit out. I have an online "dump" of photos which I use to show colleagues & friends - none of which have been edited or selected for quality. However, if you follow this link there a number of photos in the first 25 that come from the geo fields in the Myvatn/Krafla area - it may give you some idea of what to expect. http://www.xs4all.nl/~spoofcat/album/Iceland03/index.html

In anycase, Iceland is an absolutely wonderful place, so what ever you do there have lots of fun and enjoy the light and colours

Thnaks to all who have taken time to reply - much useful information! I have had a slight rethink on my route too - although the interior is very tempting I am now of the opinion that for my own safety (the fact that I'm travelling alone)- I will stay away from the "deep" interior areas ... visions of travellers coming across my remains still clutching my Ebony camera in years to come! Martin, (excellent photos btw) I've also come across some horror stories of 4x4's being swept away in summer torrents when trying to ford streams! I'm now planning a route that will make "raids" into the interior rather than trying to drive across it! I've also realised that the Ring Road offers phenomenal photo opportunities! Thanks again, Paul

• 11 months later...