efs 10-22 or tamron 17-50 f2.8

barclay_horner

Last lense purchase before the season begins and I can't make up my mind. I

currently have the 28-70 f2.8L, 80-200 f2.8L, 50 1.8, and the kit lense. I

shoot with two 20d's simultaneosly. The 28-70 is great for the low light and my

ability to zoom in and out.

The kit lense is wider then my 28-70 which I love and I use it more then I would

like to admit at weddings so I am looking to replace it. But now I see that I

might be able to get the canon 10-22 which I have had my eyes on for a while now

and I just can't make up my mind.

The tamron is faster and seems more usable in different situations.

The 10-22 has breath taking width and doesnt seem redundant with what I already

own, but I don't know if i'll wish I had the tamron instead because of the low

light ability and the wider zoom range.

I have to make a decision before the week ends and I am so torn.

When I go through my photos that I have taken with the kit lense I am shooting

90% of the time at 18mm. My thinking is that I would definatly find use for the

whole zoom range of the 10-22, but it's slower. But then again I got by last

year using the kit lense max app of 3.5.

I am Not sure what I will appreciate more, and the advice here is great.

Thanks to you all ahead a of time!

As I see it, the 10-22 is not redundant with what you have, and the 17-50 is... The 10-22 really gives you another point of view, a broader one...

Sure, you must be careful with perspective. It can really distort people in a unpleasant way when used wide. I use it on a 30D and really like it... And at f3.5-4.5, it's not so slow. Of course, if I didn't already have a 17-55 IS, I would buy one before getting the 10-22... But maybe your 28-70 L could somewhat fill the gap...

Try to rent one and see how it fits your style of photography. It may become your #1 lens if you love it wide...

-- "When I go through my photos that I have taken with the kit lense I am shooting 90% of the time at 18mm."

If the amount of distortion arround 18mm is important to you, then take the EFS10-22. It has signifficantly less distortion than the Tamron 17-50 (at 17mm) or the Kit (at 18mm).

The 17-50 is considered a normal zoom, like the 28-70 is on full frame, only with a little more zoom ratio. If this was me, I would not want to be using a "28 to anything" on a crop camera for weddings. Time is too tight, and 28mm is right between everything I need. I would be forever swapping lenses or swapping cameras, as neither the 10-22 nor 28-70 would satisfy more that half the time. I would be miserable, and I would quickly buy something to fill the gap. But I have no idea if you are like me.

However, in my opinion a person should spend more money buying the lens they use the most. For me, that's the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS. After that buy either a wider or longer lens, or both, whatever suits you.

If you buy the 17-50, you will probably have little use for the 28-70. The long end is not longer enough, and the short end is dismal on a crop frame camera.

I use three lenses for weddings : EFS 10-22, EFS 17-55 IS and EF 70-200 IS.

I would say it's a matter of style to choose your lenses... but I chose flexibility by having those three.

Some don't use a tele for weddings, but I love candid portraits shot during weddings.

Some don't use a wide lens, but it suits my style for including the mood/environment in pictures, for the architecture in churches, or great scenic views in formals. It can give the feeling you are IN the action taking place : don't expect to remain unnoticed as a photographer, because you ARE in the action.

In the end, I use the 17-55 a lot, but often find it too short, or too long.

I don't swap lenses a lot, but when I can rest a little, I'll swap for the 70-200 and shoot portraits, then I'll swap for the 10-22 ahead of time, when I know something will happen and I want it wide.

A wide lens has a hidden big plus: it puts you well in front of uncle bob who does not have a wide lens... but you must be careful: do not distort people and do not be too close !

The 17-55 is, in my opinion, well... standard... The other two augment your creative ability.

Another route is fast fixed focals... 5d, 24 f1.4, 50 f1.4, 80 f1.8 : that's what I'd like to try someday, and I'm sure my pics would reflect another style...