Gossen Luna-Pro or Sekonic L208?

steven_woody

hi,

though i have already owned a Sekonic L558 handheld lightmeter, i still want buy

another compact andy easy to carrry lightmeter. i think it should support

incident and reflective measuring mode. so, which one is best between an used

Gossen Luna-Pro and a new Seknoic L208? will be a pretty old Gossen Luna-Pro

accurate enough? i like to hear any of you opinion, thanks.

-

woody

The Luna-Pro used old style mercury batteries. You'll need to have it converted. Personally

when I am out and about on the street I use a L-208 with my Leica M3. It's tiny and works

like a champ.

I started with the Sekonic L208 for use with my TLRs. It is a very, very small meter. I would say it works well in normal light and I really like the fact that in addition to the more modern shutter speeds it has markings for the old shutter speeds (1/5, 1/10, 1/25, 1/50...). I have some old large format shutters. I have found that the L208 doesn't work consistently at low light levels. So I got a used Gossen Luna-Pro SBC and I'm very happy with that meter. It hasn't let me down yet but I wish it had the old shutter speeds along with the new ones on its dial.

Steven,

No, that's not correct. Batteries have specific output characteristics that the meter is

dependent upon for accuracy. The Gossen Luna Pro requires two 1.35V mercury-oxide

batteries, which are now darn near impossible to get. It can be converted to use silver-

oxide batteries (and possibly Lithium batteries).

The Sekonic L208 is a great little meter but it has somewhat limited operating range.

Another good choice is a Gossen Digisix or Digiflash: about the same size and (I think) a

little more operating range.

Godfrey

I prefer analog meters as I can see all combinations of shutter speed and aperture at one glace. I had a digital Gossen at one point, but I sold it. I hated toggling a button to view equiv. exposures.

Perhaps there is a digital meter that displays everything at once (Petax Digital Spot does, but it's not a flash meter). I just haven't seen it.

Try a Luna-Pro F, it uses a 9v battery, so no problems w batteries. I have one that replaced my Metrastar which is now a paperweight because of the issues finding mercury batteries.

Like others, sometimes I like to use the dial and see all my possible exposure combinations. Or maybe I'm just old fashioned, having been brought up on on needle meters.

Robert, there is the Gossen Digisix (or Digiflash with Flash metering), that I use when I go out with just body, one lens, one back. Its very small and accurate, there is no spot metering, but it's enough for travel or little package trips.

You get the EV value in 1/3rd steps on a display and turn an analogue wheel to the corresponding analogue EV value, then you have all the combinations.

here's a picture:

http://www.gossen-photo.de/pdf/flyer_digiflash_d.pdf

regards Richard