Wedding Photographer Professional?

susan_davis2

susan - anyone can call themselves a professional, but a name does not make a rose, or something like that.

there is a big difference between someone who pretends to be a good wedding photographer and someone who IS a good wedding photographer.

some of it is raw talent, some of it is training and technical know-how, some of it is people skills, and some of it is an aesthetic or artistic sense of things.

there are many hacks out there, certainly this field included. most people think that you can put your "Canon Digital" strap on your camera (looks tacky, IMHO), put the flash on and you are set to make thousands of dollars. the 'digital revolution', they call it.

nope.

in fact, I think that in a few years, there is going to a 'digital backlash', where.

great exposure, great eyes, great people skills and strong postprocessing skills will always win as long as people can tell the difference between a good and a bad photo.

for those people, you have a market and you will do fine.

for the segment of society who doesn't appreciate good photography, that's fine - that's not our market, and there's nothing wrong with that. I admit I have bad taste in many things, like, say, curtains. There's nothing snobby about saying that I don't appreciate fine curtains, just like some people don't value good photography, and they will be happy with uncle job who doens't know what he is doing.

work on the skills above and you will do fine.

conrad

In a strange way it may be easier for people to get involved in wedding photography over other kinds of "professional" photography. It's about access. Most of us all have had friends or relatives who got married. Sometimes if they know you are a serious photographer they may ask you to shoot their wedding over paying a more expensive and seasoned professional. So, if they compensate you with money do you consider yourself a professional wedding photographer?

That's up to you. Do you want to be? How do YOU view yourself as a wedding photographer? I think a lot of people who don't have all of the necessary skills think they can do the job. If you do have the skills and are confident about it, you can probably get into a few "starter" weddings and build your skills & portfolio, whereas most people can't get a commercial photography job without the proper skills and contacts in the business.

Susan, you sound like a person who has confidence in their photography skills and who understands that there will be a little bit of a learning curve when starting as a wedding professional. It really doesn't matter what others do. If they can't deliver a satisfactory product to their customers, they won't last too long. I wouldn't worry about them. Just focus on your own goals and you will do better than they do.

Oh, and digital vs film doesn't matter at all. There are plenty of shooters using either or both. Just shoot the way you feel it will benefit what you want to produce.

Lou

"In a strange way it may be easier for people to get involved in wedding photography over

other kinds of "professional" photography. It's about access. Most of us all have had

friends or relatives who got married."

IMO, this is absolutely the best analysis yet Lou. It's nothing new, just more prolific with

digital automation ... which emboldens the one time wedding shooter to seek self

expression by continuing on shooting more.

This exacly how I got into this field. Friends, and art directors that I worked with, liked my

B&W Leica street photography and wanted their wedding shot that way. After doing a few,

it just snowballed. I had no intention of becoming a wedding photographer.

Marc, you came into this with a solid background in photography, already familiar with your cameras, lighting, dealing with people, relevant business practices, etc. Sure, it was a new area of photography but you really can't compare yourself to somebody with their shiny new digital SLR that they just bought six months ago. You also had essentially no start up expenses since you already owned an expensive and extensive collection of top of the line film and digital equipment, a knowledge of advance Photoshop techniques, and you also know your way around the darkroom.

Al, that's the point I think. A person who is already a very good photographer can become interested in weddings and also understands there is a learning curve to be overcome. A person who is totally inexperienced as a photographer may not have the same perception and think that by buying the best gear they can do the same job.

Lou

So many good answers here, and I just have to put in my two cents and maybe it will be good for a chuckle! I have always wanted to be a professional photographer--took the classes--been shooting for 30 years--and I love weddings. And, I have a GREAT eye! I can spot those once in a lifetime shots like nobody's business. I wish I could attach some samples to prove it, but unfortunately, I don't have "the finger". By the time my brain sends the messsage to my finger--the great shot is over by a split second. The irony here?--my husband retired last year to become a wedding photographer? Sure he took a few classes and had some experience -- 10 years as a CRIME SCENE PHOTOGRAPHER! He booked three weddings before he had even shot one. He wasn't even used to shooting people who could move. But, he can sell ice to an eskimo and he has a knack for making people look beautiful. Now he's booked most weekends with weddings, bridals and engagements. Where is the justice! My consolation is I get to assist (which means I carry the equipment) and I get to spend the money he makes. Marketing skill and raw talent are a formidable combination.