consistently missing frames 1-3.

d._francis

I am a new Hasselblad 500cm user. I have studied the manuals, and I am pretty confident that I am

loading the film correctly. Although, on my first several rolls of film, frames 1-3 are clear, and 12 is

"burned". The negatives read completely clear, still showing frame #'s on 1-3. This leads me to believe

that the film is advancing incorrectly. After film is loaded and advanced, the counter seems to function

correctly, as well. Is it possible that I am still loading the film incorrectly, after all? Seems odd that this

problem is consistent with every roll, and that the remaining 8 frames come out beautifully?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Do you have another film back to test? It sounds like the magazine is not properly aligned. I

have a magazine like this. I have to wind the film past the arrow in order to get it to load

properly. It is an annoyance, but easily fixed once you know where to advance to. The other

option is to send in the magazine for service.

Thank you! I don't have another back, but can probably take it in to a local camera shop and

borrow one. This is very annoying...I bought this camera on Ebay from a reputable dealer.

I'm assuming having the back serviced is not costly, and perhaps the seller may fix it if need

be. Thanks again.

If you want to see what is going on reliably, get a film that you don't mind wasting (Maybe an out of date one?)and follow this procedue.

Load the film very carefully following all the instructions and wind on to frame one showing on the counter.

Then take the back off the camera and remove the dark slide, you should see the surface of the film. Now get a sharp soft lead pencil and mark around the inside of the frame on the surface of the film.

Put the darkslide back in and put the film back back onto the camera

Fire the shutter (remember you need to remove the darkslide before you can fire the shutter!!)

Wind the camera on and repeat the procedure.

Once you get to the end of the film wind it on as normal and then take it out of the camera.

Now unwind the film and you should have 12 evenly spaced penciled squares.

If not it needs a service

Simon

Or if you're a bit lazier you can do the above except leave the back on the body and mark

the film through the front of the body (lens off) while holding the shutter button down.

The mirror and body shutters will be out of the way. Saves the time putting slide in and

out and taking the back on and off. I am cheap enough with test films that I mark only

two corners for 2 tests then the top and bottom of the gate for the next couple of times

(different colour inks) etc. The first time are going to use the film, unroll it to the untaped

end and tape it in place otherwise you will get in trouble rewinding for the next test as the

film is shorter than the underlying paper due to the diff. in radii and the film will buckle

up as you reroll it. You should easily get 6 tests this way. My scottish ancestry showing!

Marking the frames... Makes sense, doesn't it?<br><br>There is, of course, another, even lazier way of doing that.<br>You could, instead of using a pencil to mark the film, make use of the recording capability of the light sensitive emulsion itself, i.e. expose the frames.<br><br>But wait!<br>hasn't that been done already?<br>;-)<br><br>D.,<br><br>I think that magazine needs being looked at by a professional repair person. Sorry!