paula2

Hi there,

I was hoping for some advice on lense choice for shooting weddings. I currently

have a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8, a 50mm f1.4 and a 18-200mmVR on D200 & Fuji s5Pro

bodies.

My problem is that I am trying to upgrade my kit to all fast lenses, and

therefore do I go for the 28-70 f2.8 or 17-55 f2.8? I cannot afford to buy both

at the moment but need to cover a wedding in a few weeks. One possibility would

be to take the Nikon 28-70 and buy a 18-50mm f2.8 sigma lense.

Would this be a sensible solution or a false economy?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Paula

Hi there, I have a pro photog for many years shooting for newspapers, freelance and a few

weddings for my sins. The standard newspaper kit is 17-35mm 2.8 and 70-200mm. I would

look at buying the 17-55mm as 99% of the time you can take a step back or forward or just

crop a bit- you have the file size with your camera. Also the 28mm is not really wide enough

you need to have a 20mm (film equivalent) for interior shots. cheeeers pete

..and just so I'm offering something helpful too, I would go with what Peter says above except I'm a beginner- although I sold the 17-35 and went for the extra reach of the 17-55. My kit now consists of 17-55, 70-200 and 50 \1.8. Just want the 85 \1.4 and I feel I'll be 'complete'.. For now!

I used both and preferred the 17-55 because it was more versatile. You want regret the purchase. Only gripe was it was sometimes too short on the focal length side.

The 28-70 for receptions is super because it gave me that little extra reach I wanted. It is not wide enough for groups at the altar. Really sharp lens.

The 17-55 is the no brainer choice unless you have another option for formals and large groups. I had a couple instances where it would be soft and never couldfigure out why, but is THE best all around lens in the Nikon lineup for versatility...IMNSHO

I briefly used the 17-35 and found it too wide for my style.

I didn't mean to sound so sarcastic, I apologize. However, all of these zoom lens and digital camera questions, do seem repetitively, repetitive. If one spends five minutes researching this and similar topics, there are literally hundreds of related threads. I find that doing my own research in this manner, my knowledge is widened by the searching process itself. This is the beauty of this site!

Edsel,

I do actually agree with your point (it made me smile) and always look myself before i post - you're right, as a beginner it is best to search first and often leads to reading and learning a lot more. Hope my comment was taken in the good-humoured spirit it was meant!