EOS ELAN IIe/50e- Battery problems!

montanhacz

Hello to all:

I have an EOS ELAN IIe/50e and I use the battery grip BP-50. The problem is

that the camera indicates, always, lack of power, and even the internal flash

doesn't pops out. I put new batterys (AA) and the problem continues. I've read

some opinions of this camera and some users talked about this problem too. I

don't even shot 1 roll and the indicator blinks and I always use normal auto

focus (I don't use eye focus because it uses more power).

What should I do? Is it "normal"? Does anyone has any tip to solve my problem?

Many thanks and best regards!

I used rechargable Ni-Mh 1450 mAh 1.2V Kodak and other brands with no problem. Lasted long enough (for me). Never required a spare ones, which I had in the pocket always. Cannot explain what's going on with yours. Try to clean up contacts, different brand

What is happening is definitely abnormal, and I would return it if it is still on warranty. I have the BP 50 for my Elan IIe, and I will change out batteries every 20 rolls or so, even using ECF. It sounds to me like you have a 'leak' of the battery somewhere, causing slow discharge, perhaps even while the camera is not being used. It could be a camera problem or a BP50 problem. I had a similar problem with the remote shutter release, and eventually took the batteries out, to be used only when I needed the device. That wouldn't be reasonable for what you want.

Dave

Carlos, does it do the same when using a lithium 2CR5 battery? And does it still have problems without the battery grip? Without knowing that, we're all just guessing at what the issue might be. It might be a problem with your AA batteries, your battery grip, or your camera. You gotta start isolating the components to find where the problem lies.

The fact is that this is a second hand camera. But I have this camera for over a year, with AA batteries and always with the BP-50, without any problem. Until now, when recently I changed the batteries for new ones. I've never used the camera without the BP-50 and I've never used the 2CR5 battery in this camera. The contacts seems OK. I'm wondering if I'm tightening to much the screw of the BP-50! What do you think if I change this AA alkaline batteries for AA Ni-Mh 2000 mA? I'm trying to avoid the 2CR5 because is too expensive (Is it possible to recharge?). Thanks for all your help and best regards.

Carlos, with batteries, as with everything, you get what you pay for. Most people tend to neglect the batteries assuming they will all provide the same results - you need to use 2CR5 batteries to get the proper results. If you checked the contacts and they look clean then try the new set of batteries - your situation would sound like the typical power "leak" that would cause the batteries to drain if you didn't mention that it started happening when you changed the batteries. Sounds to me like the batteries you are using are not giving you enough amp to power the mechanisms in the camera. If you try 2CR5 batteries and you still have the same problem the camera will need to be sent in for repair - but be warned! this problem is not easily diagnosed or duplicated, be very descriptive when you send this in for repair!

good luck

• 1 month later...
This all horse bisquits from Canon. I have shot one roll thru a 7e that I purchased new as backup a year and a half ago for my D60. This same problem is all over the net with different Canon cameras and Canon just blows it off as they always do when they have problems. Remember the command dial problem? So far all I have found are the same stupid ways to solve the problem over and over again. Different models of camera, taking different kinds of batteries, and different lenses. Same Canon problem, Same lack of Canon help. This is stupid and Canon had better face up to their lack of engineering knowhow or find new jobs with the remaining camera companies.