I have a problem...

Hello,

My name is Stuart....and I'm a Kievoholic. I now have three Kiev's. A Kiev 2

(1951), Kiev 2A (1957) and a Kiev 4AM (1980). All three of these cameras came

with the Jupiter 8/8M lens. I can't find fault with any of them. They all

needed new door seals, but other than that, they work perfectly. It's a fun

camera and big bang for the bucks!<div>00Kkkx-36015884.jpg.90223f496878b4e71840ee2592c5893d.jpg</div>

So many cameras out there...so little time.

Minh,

I've just received my Polaroid 150 ($15). I am going to check out your conversion and attempt it as my project this winter. I didn't know the camera was so big! We are only allowed one piece of luggage and one carry-on article for shuttle flights within Australia. :) Hard to believe that people actually travelled with one of these monsters!

Stu

I only have two, a 1963 model 4 and a mid-80s 4AM. they are very nice cameras, the 4AM surprisingly so since it doesn't have the smooth shiny finish of the older one. Both have a bit of a light leak problem which appears to come through the RH rangefinder window and down the sprocket shaft... an intermittent annoyance. I've tried plugging it up and have managed to improve it but not completely cure it.

Thanks for the sample photos. I just obtained two of them: both Kiev-4 cameras. One has a 135mm lens. I have no results as yet. Your photos look crisp.

There are sites which get into the history of these, but it seems that after WWII the Soviets took the Contax factory with all parts, tools, designs, and even a few engineers and set up shop in the Arsenal factory in Kiev. They were producing Contax cameras, in Kiev, not just similar copies. The first to be produced had the Contax name and then it gradually went to the Kiev name. These are very nice cameras for less than $100.