my first "good" ballhead purchase

dillbuch

Hello all,

Have been doing lots of reading and searching for information and opinions on ballhead. I'm going to get

myself one for my birthday. I've wanted something nice for a while now, and always assumed that I would

eventually get a Kirk, and get RRS plates. Now I see that RRS has their own ballhead now. Any advice/

opinions on merits/demerits of these two, (or others) would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Anne

Yes, the RRS ballheads are very, very good. Probably the best available according to majority opinion. Markins, Arca Swiss, Kirk, and Acratech are all very similar options (listed in my order of preference).

If you want a mid sized ballhead and are choosing RRS the BH-40 is the best option, for a larger ballhead the BH-55 is a great choice.

Of course you realize that this means you have to get a $500 carbon fiber Gitzo tripod as well....

;)

I've been using the AcraTech almost daily for the past two years now, in all the types of weather South Dakota/Minnesota can throw at it. It has never locked up or failed once. I got it mainly because it's open design is so easy to clean. No way it can lock up due to ice getting down into it. I use it with my Nikon system and also 4x5 field camera. I have only used it a couple of times with a 500mm f4, and it did OK. A gimbal mount would have been better for that. I'm not sure what it would take to destroy that particular head. I suspect it would survive a small tornado. It's very light too.

Kent in SD

Another vote for RRS. They are very well made. I have the BH-40 and just love it. If I can ever afford bigger glass though, I would definitly get the BH-55. I was playing with one in, of all places, the Wimberly office when I went in to pick up a couple plamps. They are smooth, fluid, and precise.

The RRS head has received many good endorsements from professional photographers, including Moose Peterson. RRS stuff is designed and made well - you couldn't go wrong.

The Arca-Swiss B1 should be on your radar. It is the only one with an effective tension control. The out-of-round ball increases tension as the ball tilts, counteracting the increased torque. Ball heads are most useful when you can set partial tension and point the camera smoothly and easily, yet safely. The only time you lock a ball head down is if you need to take your hands away. This is especially easy to do with the Arca. The B1 is very well made, and sets the standard for build-quality.

The Acratech has a peculiar quirk - in order to tilt the camera upward you must completely reverse the head and ball. This is due to the 45 degree angle of the ball socket. It has a following, primarily for its ultra-light weight and low price. At $280, it is over $100 cheaper than the other heads you are considering.

I don't own a traditional ball head, so I don't know how I would use it for sure, but I think I would keep the slot to one side so that I could have a normal range of motion forward and backward, but still go sideways for portrait format. That's what I do with the Acratech - keep the low side to the left. I have normal forward and back motion can can go all the way down to the left for portrait mode (that leaves very little right-tilt, but who cares?).

Edward got it right about the weight - I think it's about half that of the competition. Price was not really a factor for me. I just wanted the lightest (but still sturdy) tripod setup I could find.

Like I said, though, if you want the "traditional" ball head - there's a new one from Acratech (the V2) that is still super light.

I have useed the Kirk BH-1 since 2001 and am still amazed that it works so well, depsite the amount of abuse it has endured. I also have had only positive experiences with Kirk customer service and would reccommend tham to anybody. There are no plans to part with the BH-1 anytime soon, but in the unfortunate event that it met its demise early, I would replace it with the 55mm RRS head. In any case, you do want the RRS lever-clamp plate: It's the best thing sliced bread. Good luck in your search.

Thanks much for the replies. I appreciate it. And yes, I do know that now I'll have to get a CF

tripod. (later)

Those of you who said that you currently have the Kirk, and have been pleased with it, but if

you were buying today you would get the RRS, can you share with me your reasons?

Thanks again.

Anne

It's not the fancy design of the RRS that I like, but the fact that it is a physically smaller package with the same strength. Don't let anybody tell you that one is better built than the other, as they both are excellent. It's all ergonomics. The Kirk BH-1 is not a small head and it's center of rotation is much higher up than the RRS head I tried. The compact design is the appeal to me. Not worth selling the Kirk but if I were shopping again, it would be the RRS.

You really can't go wrong with any of these; it's all personal taste. I prefer Kirk's lens collars, RRS's body plates, and am ambivalent about lens plates between both. Good luck.

FWIW< I love my RRS ballhead. The things I find specifically nice in no particular order...

Build

Large knobs

Built in level

Two drop slots

Most importantly, the ASB1 I previously had would always shift a bit after you tightened it. I get essentially NO drift once I tighten the ballhead.

It costs more, but given that it will be used 'forever' I think it is worth it. If you get it I would get the lever clamp instead of the screw...makes life easier.

I have never used the Kirk, but have heard good things about it as well.

Howard

www.howardgrill.blogspot.com

Yeah, that's pretty much my thinking too. Get the 55mm, know that I shouldn't have to get

another one, and start my new learning curve. I think I will start to use my tripod a lot more

once I have the ballhead.

Thanks again for the help.

Anne

Another vote for the RRS BH-55. IMHO, it's the best designed ballhead on the market. I sold

my Arca B-1 after using one. It's more ergonomic to use, it's lower profile than the Kirk and

Arca which means less leverage on the axis of the tripod, and it is engineered and built

beautifully. The BH-40 is exceptional too if you aren't using really heavy rigs on it. The

BH-25, by the way, is a minor miracle. Though its tiny size dictates that it doesn't move with

the buttery smoothness of the BH-55, it locks down tighter than you would imagine and has

a thick shaft, so it is quite stable. It's actually quite usable with a six-pound 4x5 field camera

rig on it.