Can't Find a Digital Back

kittybuddha

I'm getting ready to buy a Mamiya M645 AFD II. The problem is tha after

searching the B&H & Adorama site I can't find any information on what digital

back to buy. I've also searched the web & can't find any info. Can anyone

tell me where to find a digital back for this camera?

GO to calumetphoto.com or better yet, contact phase one or leaf to have a representative do a personal demonstration for you in your studio. http://phaseone.com/Global/Dealers/HardwareDealersMap/NorthAmerica.aspx

or http://www.leafamerica.com/purchase_form.asp are better places to start than b/h as they have limited options when it comes to digital backs. And Adorama is not a place I'd spend 15-25k at.

Both phase one and Leaf have regional sales reps to serve you directly and having a good relationship with them is key to getting the product you need and having quality customer service. Calumet is very well known and have stores in most large metropolitan areas. But like I said, go to the manufacturer site, contact them for a demo and they'll get you in contact for purchase with the local dealer in your area. Remember, purchasing a digital back is more likened to picking up a luxury auto than a ford focus and customers are treated as such.

Personally, I would go with phase one over Leaf as they have much better software and are mac/pc compatible (leaf only works with mac) and don't rely on touch screen lcds (bound to go down sooner that simple buttons with heavy use). As far as image quality goes, they're similar, but phase one also has a few more options resolution wise. There is however a well matched Mamiya afdII + leaf kit that is touted as leaf's digital slr. Once again though, I wouldn't get something with a touch screen limited to one platform (you never know what may happen and you might need to tether to a pc for whatever reason).

Contact both companies and ask for a demo with a mamiya afdII and see for yourself what works best.

Skyy, I use a Mamiya 645AFDII with a Leaf Aptus 75 ... which was upgraded from an Aptus

22. I'll try to help if I can.

The software is fine for most tasks and has been recently upgraded along with the camera

firmware to great effect (like the ISO 800 files are spectacular now) ... but more

importantly, Leaf RAW files are directly supported by Adobe Camera RAW and can be

opened directly in Adobe Bridge for processing in PhotoShop. Unless shooting tethered to

a computer, Leaf Software isn't even needed. Even when shooting tethered, I use Adobe

Bridge as my browser, and the Leaf main window for the tethered capture review. Very

fast.

The notion that the touch screen will go down is pure speculation. I've been using mine for

some time now with no issues what-so-ever. It actually is quite ingenious, and the larger

LCD is a joy to work with.

Thank you Caleb, Graham & Marc. I finally found some info on the net about Leaf but didn't even know about Phase One & Sinar. I've been checking out the Calumet site & find it to be much more informative than B&H & Adorama so I'm going to give them a call. I'll do some more research on all of these backs. I don't know how many MP's I really need. I'm already shooting commercial stuff but eventually want to go into beauty & fashion (in a smaller market). I'm also still not certain if I'm going to go with Mamiya or Hasselblad. I'm currently shooting with Nikon's & I'm beginning to wonder if going to medium format is really worth the money. Is the investment worth it? I'd like to know everyone's opinion on these questions. Thanks again.

Only you can answer the question whether it's worth it Skyy. It depends on exactly what

you do shoot and for how much money, why you are even considering a MF digital

solution, and what seems to be lacking with your current gear.

A vast majority of commercial photography is now done with these backs, both on MF

cameras and on view cameras, if that tells you anything.

But it doesn't necessarily mean you need one or can justify it from a business point-of-

view.

IMHO, the "big box" type retail camera stores are not always the best place to get

information or the kind of tech support you may want if you do buy one.

There are speciality re-sellers that offer very deep knowledge and support that are no

different in price and often are even less expensive.

When getting a H3D/39. my Hasselblad reseller made a huge difference over the first

Imacon digital back I bought from a well known national camera retailer. I'd never go to a

big store again.

Here are a few manufacturer web sites that could be of help for the information you are

looking for.

www.leaf-photography.com

www.hasselblad.com

www.phaseone.com

I've heard the leaf software got better (I've steered clear of leaf after renting a back 2years ago) and the 6x7 screen would be nice. I guess I normally shoot tethered when shooting mf digital so my assistant can keep tabs on the small details and team decisions can be made immediately. I guess this also goes to show that everyone has to decide for themselves.

As far as mp goes, i'd say 22-31 should be more than enough. The new phase one plus back http://phaseone.com/Content/p1digitalbacks/Pplusseries/Pplus/P30+.aspx

listed here is 31 mp, just about full frame 645 and gets darn close to a frame per second.

as far as justifying the cost, you should assess how many jobs per year/quarter/month you would NEED the extra resolution. Then figure out how much it would be to rent. Multiply that cost so you get a 3-4 year average. That would be a safe upgrade cycle for most when buying highend gear IMO. If it's cheaper to buy, then buy. Really, unless you generate at least 60-80k a year, it might be frivolous. But if its not something you can rent near by, then it might be something to think about.

As far as clients go, some NEED high res shots. For example, some fashion mags such as W have huge pages and like to occasionally run shots that cover 2 pages. That would be pushing your nikon files maybe too much. When it comes to ad agencies, they like to be impressed. It gives the impression of higher value when you have a mf back.

When it comes down to it, make sure you have the clients/work and skills to back up the camera, otherwise you could sink your own battleship. Any serious investment should be carefully considered. Oh, and if you have good credit, calumet offers decent lease programs where you can buy at the end for a very small amount. I know some people don't like big stores, but the experience I've had with the Chicago branch of Calumet has always been top notch. Of course if you're physically in a store purchasing every week or so you had better get good service.

So, that being said-capture one pro is possibly one of the best software products for tethering/rawprocessing out there, definitely should check it out even if you're shooting your nikons.

"When it comes to ad agencies, they like to be impressed. It gives the impression of higher

value when you have a mf back."

It has little to do with "being impressed" or " giving an impression of higher value" ... and a

lot to do with the reality of multiple synergistic use of images by marketing clients these

days ... thus the desire for higher resolution files to meet those diverse applications of

photographic images.

Right, the better equipment and better files are a better value. If they are paying the photographer x amount of dollars, you have a happier client with the better gear because technically (file size, bitdepth etc) the image is solid. I didn't mean that it's just an impression.

But as with any "brand" appearances can't be discounted. A tool is never just to show off, but it doesn't hurt you. AND yes, it has to do with being impressed. The whole process is important with clients. They want to know you use the best tools to get the job done. IF that means a MF digital camera for them, you will be seen as lesser if you dont have one because of the associations that are made.

Just becuase they're behind the scenes of marketing doesn't mean that branding doesn't affect them as well. As a photographer, having ALL your bases covered and need to not only provide professional images, but BE professional on every level to succeed. Things are getting more and more competitive and something is needed to set yourself apart.

I should clarify, thanks for pointing that out Marc. I didn't mean that it's only appearances. The expectations when working with ad agencies is of a high caliber, and large file sizes are needed, as well as world class images. The best tools give you the edge, and when clients know what certain tools are capable of in capable hands, well it can make them all warm and fuzzy inside. It's the final image that counts, but the little details help keep them coming back for more.

<i>"When it comes to ad agencies, they like to be impressed. It gives the impression of higher value when you have a mf back."

<p>

"It has little to do with "being impressed" or " giving an impression of higher value" ... and a lot to do with the reality of multiple synergistic use of images by marketing clients these days ... thus the desire for higher resolution files to meet those diverse applications of photographic images."</i>

<p>

so true marc. it has nothing to do with ego and everything to do with multi-million dollar clients that have zero tolerance when it comes to mistakes. ZERO! <p>

you pay $25.000 for a back, you expect it to work without fault (otherwise your really pissed right?). well, <b>pay 25 million for advertising, then tell me how relaxed you are when an agency says: "sorry the photographer was using camera xy and that's why the 1.2 million posters hanging across the country showing your new $8000 top of the line watch are fuzzy looking." </B>

guess what the response will be. <p>

i work for several very large agencies (Publicus, DDB, TBWA, etc., etc. and every time i talk to a producer about a shoot, first question is always: "what is the photographer shooting with and what kind of files can he deliver?...we only want the raw files and please, nothing smaller than 39mp back file." <p>

fact is, large international companies work with several agencies at the same time and a visual that is intended to be used in a press ad at agency a might be used as in a 50ft blow up by agency b. Every producer i know has a horror story about an image shot with a canon dslr that had to be used for something unexpected and turned out looking like total crap.

<p>

<b>the new rule: ALL images start at DIN A1 (594 mm x 841 mm) @ 300dpi</b> - regardless what they're needed for. if the photographer can't deliver a file that can cut it, then he doesn't get the job.<p>

My wonderful Aptus 22 is history for commercial work.

"When it comes to ad agencies, they like to be impressed. It gives the impression of higher value when you have a mf back."

"It has little to do with "being impressed" or " giving an impression of higher value" ... and a lot to do with the reality of multiple synergistic use of images by marketing clients these days ... thus the desire for higher resolution files to meet those diverse applications of photographic images."

Gotta love forums...nothing like being misinterpreted and then coming off like an idiot.

• 2 weeks later...