Need to buy 5D, but worried

peter_ho1

There is maybe an 70% chance Canon will release a new FF DSLR this year. There is a 50% chance that if they do, it will be a 5D upgrade. There is a zero chance it will be released before August. There is a 90% chance that Canon will offer a rebate on the 5D next week.

Peter,

If you need a full frame in the next two months and you cannot afford or justify the 1Ds MK2 then get the 5D, there is very little difference between the images produced by the two bodies and certain reviews even say the noise is less on the 5D.

I have a 5D and it is a fantastic camera that produces amazing results and you will not find them cheaper than their current prices until they are replaced and as it did not happen this year at the prestigious events and there is no Photokino I suspect we will have to wait until 2008 for a replacement. It stands to reason that they replace the 1Ds MK2 first and then transfer some of that technology to a replacement 5D at a later stage.

Go on buy the 5D, you know you want to and you will not regret it.

"There is maybe an 70% chance Canon will release a new FF DSLR this year. There is a 50% chance that if they do, it will be a 5D upgrade. There is a zero chance it will be released before August. There is a 90% chance that Canon will offer a rebate on the 5D next week."

It should be noted that 42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

In repsonse to the OP, yes, Canon will eventually release a new FF body. But when that will happen, and which will come first (a 5D successor or the 1Ds Mk III), every person who knows those answers is employed by Canon and sworn to secrecy. However, it's a safe bet that it won't be in the next two months; most of the camera makers time their release announcements to coincide with major photo shows (like the recent PMA, when Canon announced the 1D Mk III), and there aren't any events like that in the next two months.

I guess the question is how much money you are willing to pay. The price difference between 5D and/or future 5D MK__ and 1Ds MK __ is significant. If you don't need a "tank" than the 5D is a great camera. I would probably wait for the upcoming rebate and get a great deal on the current 5D. There will be new FF 5D probably after summer if you can wait.

Eventually. I had that same dilemna last year when I bought mine. It's a great camera and if an upgrade came up within a few months, I could care less. 5D, 6D, 7D, whatever, I love mine like I love my 20D which I still use. I use my 5D for family pictures and my 20D for travel pictures.

Hi Peter,

you've been asking the same question since Dec 2005, must have been a pretty rough 1.5 years of endurance, I personally couldn't have waited that long to get something =). Well, since then Canon has not put out a replacement, but the price has dropped significantly especially with rebates. If you absolutely need one within 2 month, you have no choices but to get one, the only thing I would worry about is any upcoming rebate, not replacement model. Even if Canon puts out a FF replacement model tomorrow, I am not sure if the price will be so appealing to you. Good luck getting you new 5D!

I say if you want to upgrade do it when rebates are available. A 5d is less likely to be replaced than the 1dsmkII IMO and is in a different price range. The 5d still sells well and is a great camera...not as much in need of an upgrade. The 1dsmkII however could use a sensor(not necessarily concerning megapixels, more noise dynamic range 14 or 16 bit images) and processor upgrade, and could have the ergo dynamics and usability reassessed. The 5d for me was a better choice as its modifiable in size (sometimes I just want to have a smaller camera aka no grip) and lower in price for similar file size with arguably lower noise characteristics.